AVR230, any reason to leave it in standby mode?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steven Sims, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

Other than the convenience of being able to use the remote to turn it on, is there any reason to leave this receiver in standby mode? I just started a new schedule at work where I won't be getting home until late, so it will probably only be turned on once or twice a week.

2. Kris_Smith

Kris_Smith Agent

Hmmm...I always leave mine in standby....

It's never hot(obviously) and so far(1 month) I haven't had a problem.....

Although I never thought about any possible problems that could occur....

3. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Not a 100% sure, but I believe at some point you will loose your saved settings.

4. SteveAnd

SteveAnd Extra

I'm pretty sure that at some point all the settings will be lost. Sounds like a good question to ask the manufacturer. You won't be saving any money by not having it plugged in, and I can't think of any negative impact you might have aside from a huge bolt of lightning blowing out your entire electrical system(and no, surge supressors and similar crap will not stop lightning from frying everything).

5. Kris_Smith

Kris_Smith Agent

Are you telling me that my multi-million dollar "monster" surge protector won't save me?

6. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

Well, I thought I remembered how long you can leave the 230 turned off before you lose your settings, but I checked the manual to make sure. It's 4 weeks. Also, for SteveAnd, the unit has a standby button and a main power switch, so I don't have to unplug it to turn off the main power, just hit the power button.

I know it only draws a very small amount of current in standby mode, but I figure as long as H/K is going to put a main power button on the receiver, I may as well use it if it's not in use every day.