1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AVR?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Gschimma, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gschimma

Gschimma Extra

Greg
    i’m almost afraid to ask this question. i have an old sonos and they are offering a trade up program with 30% off on a new system including their home theater 5.1 with 2 speakers, sound bar and a sub. i like the wireless aspect but is trying to compare a sonos 5.1 home theater speaker system to a marantz receiver, a pvs sub and a couple speakers like comparing apples to tacos. my family of four want to upgrade the sound of movies and I want to introduce the boys to a variety of great music using mostly streaming services. is the quality significantly better with a receiver or do I just have more control than with WiFi speakers like Bose or sonos ? do i really need a receiver?

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Quality and streaming don't really go together (IMO). The better your system the more you will hear all of the flaws. If your source is good, then yes, an AVR and some good speakers will sound much better than any Sonos or BO$E.

What's your budget?

3. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    I agree. I would buy a receiver and at least a 2.1 system. That's all we use in our family room. CDs from our library system is what I do, and the FM tuner.

4. Gschimma

Gschimma Extra

Greg
    Thanks for your responses. Our source is almost entirely via streaming services (video and audio) and an occasional BLU-Ray. Do the receivers with streaming services offered the benefit of fine tuning whereas Sonos/bose have limited ability or is the source, the source?

My budget is <$2000. At one point I almost pulled the trigger on a refurbished marantz AVR, an SVS subwoofer and some bookshelf speakers then I realized that the AVRs are bigger than the built-in home theater shelving that I have.

5. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Receivers tend to have gimachs like 'sound restorer' or some other silly name that usually just makes things louder. It is not possible to make it sound a whole lot better since there's so much missing from the source (compression often means dropping things to make it smaller - things like low and high frequencies).

All I can say is try it. Go to an HT type store and listen for yourself with the same sources you plan to use at home. I don't know a whole lot about Sonos so I can't say for certain how their gear would compare.

6. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Streaming sources that are at 128kb/s tend to be pretty close to CD quality. There are also subscription streaming services with higher quality.