avr vs. preamp/amp

marc-s

Auditioning
Real Name
marc schwartz
im sure this has been asked many many times but i need to know what u guys think is the better route to go and how high end they have to be.

im looking at having a home theater built in my garage (17x17). im looking at using either the b&w 700 series speakers or the jbl L890 speakers.

i want a system that can be upgraded easily in the future, especially for the hdmi 1.3

my main use for this system will be movies.

thanks for all the advice

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking for an upgrade ability you'll have to spend a lot of money on a top tier unit that could be upgraded down the road...maybe. When you get into hardware upgrades there's only so much that can be retrofitted into an existing platform and when it can be done it might not be cost effective to do so. You might consider buying a quality power amp now and a lower cost pre or AVR to provide the processing with the intention on upgrading it once HDMI 1.3 becomes common place. The other option is to just resign yourself to using an external HDMI switch and or scalar to get the functions you want.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
There's really no easy answer to your current dilemma (a lot of people are stuck here...).

Going with separates generally give you better sound quality because the you don't have several components sharing the same chassis and power transformer. They also offer better flexibility if you decide to upgrade.

You won't find anything that supports the HDMI 1.3 spec until Q1 2007. HDMI 1.3 requires a totally new chip; it isn't just a software upgrade. So for all intents and purposes, current products that offer HDMI switching (version 1.1/1.2) will be obsolete. Don't we all love HDMI already?

Eventually, everything will iron out, but it will take time. If you need to buy gear now, you can always buy an HDMI 1.3 switch/repeater later as they become available.

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
I second the motion to invest in a good amp first and pair it with whatever you need to get you by until things settle down with the new formats and you can afford to spend more on a pre/pro later.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davefromlondon