AVR Recomendation, 3 mo from now?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben.T, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ben.T

Ben.T Agent

OK

I'm the type of person who attempts to research and plan out what I like to buy way before I should actually be. Basically I'm in the process of remodeling my basement for a HT (pic = members.cox.net/inane/during3/slides/022904-03.jpg). So I'm trying to plan out what I need to have setup while I can easily construct it. Ya I know it's prob a bit overkill but its fun. [​IMG]

My plan is to replace all of my current HT gear over a period of a year. My first purchase will be new speakers. I am currently leaning towards a setup from Axiom (M60Ti, VP150, QS4). My second purchase will be a new reciever. I currently don't have a Dolby Digital capable receiver so I know I won't want to wait long after getting the speakers to enjoy 5.1 (or greater) goodness.

My wish list of features for an AVR is:

~100Watt x X channels
    Good looks, Good remote is a plus
    DVI (& Firewire) inputs and output
    $500~700ish

OK, so I know there is jack under $1k for digital video in's and out's. I plan on having a DLP or LCoS RPTV within a years time and was hoping to be able to hook everything thru the AVR without having to worry at all about signal loss... but at this point I think that will just have to remain a *wish*

What I've been looking at:

A List

Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX
    Harman Kardon AVR-7200

B List
    YAMAHA RXV-2400
    Onkyo ?
    Denon ?
    ?

I'm worried that waiting will remove the H/K from my list because it just won't be available. Is that Pioneer also an older model?

I was considering just getting a $~300 AVR and use it for a couple of years until this digital (HDTV) age finnaly arrives in force but they jsut don't ahve any power in that price range and plus after I replace it, I just feel like I wasted a peice of hardware.

2. Ben.T

Ben.T Agent

OK... I got myself thinkin on that $~300 temporary AVR setup and came across:

Yamaha HTR-5660

What is the quality level of AVR's from good companies in this cheaper price range? Or am I just better off investing a lil more in a reciever?