What's new

AVR or Seperates (1 Viewer)

BillSune

Agent
hey all,

I am in need of something to drive my speakers.
I just bought a Polk Audio LSi 5 channel system and I will need something that can handle the low impeadence of these speakers.

Seperates or AVR?

If AVR I am looking at the Denon 3803 or 4802.

I have no idea about seperates what I would be looking at.

I am looking to stay around the $1000 price mark.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Bill

ScottMP

Auditioning
Separates will be tough around that mark as will a 4802R. I can recommend the 3803 but I undersand that the replacement 3805 is due out, most likely near the same price point, though undiscounted at first. 3803 is great and if you need, add external amplification later. What type of speakers?

BillSune

Agent
LSi 25's
LSi 9's
LSi Center

Haven't really decided on a sub yet. Looking at Velodyne SPL 1000. Due to same size sub as well as same gloss finish and I don't like polk subs.

If you have any opinions, i don't have the speakers or equipment yet.

Thanks

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Even used, it would be difficult to get a decent powered 5 channel amp and a pre/processor for a $1000. I'd stick with an AVR and maybe add an external amp later. You could get a 3803 and sock away the $300 or so and get a nice used 150-200wpc 5 channel amp for $700-800 on Audiogon when you save the rest up. Maybe even get the 3802 to save even more, if it has the same features of the 3803 but with less power?

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,
congrats on the new polk LSis, awesome speakers...

Here are the list of AVR that has been proven to work well with LSis:

B&K 307/507
Rotel 1055/1065
Outlaw
Parasound
Higher series Denon 4XXX/5XXX

Is your budget fixed? If so, I would suggest high quality used gears (audiogon.com) along those brands. With the right amplifications, these LSis do sounds great, they need high-current design amplifier. Have fun shopping...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bill, I ran my Polks with a Marantz SR5000 AVR for a couple of years. Less then a year ago I wanted to move into sperates. I went and bought 4 Adcom 2-channel amps (60wpc, you'll need more power for those Lsi's) off ebay. All 4 amps cost just under $500, total. I then used my Marantz as the pre/pro. Just going from the AVR to amps was a noticeable step-up in sound quality. Just last week I removed the Marantz completely and added a Klipsch (dd-dts) Pre/Pro and and Outlaw ICBM all for and additional cost of $390. Add to that another set of interconnects and the entire package came in well under 1k.

Sure, nothing I bought is audiophile, mega dollar, mega powered gear, but what I have now far out shines the Marantz AVR.

Look around and shop. You can do better than an AVR with that $1,000. I paid $600 for my Marantz and got the entire separates package for under $900.

Three of the Adcom amps are bi-amping my mains and center (Polk RT55's and a CS400) while the 4th amp powers the surrounds (Polk inwall AB755's).

Peace Out~:D

BillSune

Agent
Thanks for the advice guys, I think that for right now I am going to stick with an AVR due to space confinements.

When is the 3805 Denon supposed to come out, does anyone know?

Bill

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

checkout club polk for insights into denon and LSis, specifically the 380X series..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks