What's new

AVR for my xbr2 needed (1 Viewer)

pemarsh

Auditioning
Real Name
perry
Is there an AVR for under $2000 that I can run my HDMI components through that will do as good of job (or better) for video processing?? Currently, I have all my HDMI components (AppleTV, Toshiba HD DVD palyer, Playstation 3 Blu-ray player) running directly to the TV (Sony 60XBR2)...and its a pain to switch the TV input all the time.
Please, any input would be a great help! I also am not all the concerned with audio nearly as much as I am with video.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
For well under that budget you can get the Onkyo TX-SR805 (sometimes less than $800). It's got tons of power.

You mentioned scaling, and if you feel you really need it, the Onkyo TX-SR875 (about $500 or more than the TX-SR805) has one of the best scalers available in a receiver. I say one of the best available in a receiver because it won't likely be much if any better than the scalers in your HD DVD player or PS3. Once the PS3 got the scaling update, it is one of the better scaling DVD players. Scaling on receivers is a frivolous feature, that few need or have practical use for. If you are feeding it with upscaled sources, or HD sources the scalers would be by-passed anyway. The TV you have also has decent scalers. IMO, save some bucks on the receiver and go with the TX-SR805 (which has 3 HDMI inputs).

It has all the power you could ever need, and all the features. It runs pretty hot, so it needs room to breath, and it is also quite large and takes up a lot of real estate on AV racks.

Other receivers to look at would be the Yamaha RX-V1800, Denon AVR-2808CI, Marantz receivers, and Pioneer Elite.

pemarsh

Auditioning
Real Name
perry
I was recently told that my XBR2 does a poor job of upscaling. I was recomended to get an Integra 8.8

True?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks