AVR 635 and 630 differences?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark--M, May 11, 2005.

1. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Anybody know exactly what was changed when H/K dropped the 630 and made the 635?

2. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Off the top of my head, more advanced EzSetupEQ that does eq auto setup. Component upconversion of composite/svideo inputs. More advanced TI DSP is used in the 635. I think the only thing the 635 lacks from the 630 is analog bass management iirc.

3. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

So should I buy a 630 for a little cheaper or save the cash for a 635?

4. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

I think James' description of the differences between the two is pretty accurate. Choosing is a tough call. You can get steeply discounted AVR630's, including refurbed direct from Harman on e-bay. So it is tempting.

But when I decided to upgrade my H/K AVR520 recently, I went with the 635. To me, the EQ was worth shelling out extra for. Having never heard the 630, I can't compare, but I can tell you that the AVR 635 is just incredible. My H/K 520 is no slouch, but the 635 takes things to a whole other level. Sound is warm, rich, detailed, and powerful. I think a lot of that is due to the EQ.

I live in a NYC apartment, so my placement options for equipment are limited. So being able to implement H/K's advanced EQ to help manage my room was a godsend. Everything sounds great.

Basically, if you can afford it, I'd say go with the 635. You may also want to use the upconversion, but I don't currently run video through my receiver. It's nice to know I have the option though. If money is an issue, though, you would be just fine going with the 630 I am sure.