AVR 520 vs Sony STR-DB2ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Marsh, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Guys
    I would be interested in any opinions on these 2 units to be used as a pre-pro for a good 7ch power amp. I know the Sony has only 6.1 o/p but I believe one could hook a splitter to the rear center o/p as it is mono anyway.
    It must sound good with music and movies.

2. EricRV

EricRV Auditioning

What 7 channel amp do you intend on using? In theory you could do this with the "splitting" technique you mentioned. How it turns out,,,and the verdict,,,will be for you to decide. What has prompted you to use one of these units in a pre/amp configuration?

Eric.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I think it comes down to a choice between Logic 7 on the HK and comprehensive bass management on the Sony. As pre's, I couldn't see much other difference.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the str-da2es isn't a very good option compared to the H/K as it is just a rebadged DB series sony receiver and doesn't feature the build quality that the ES series is noted for.....if your gonna go with a sony make sure it is the 3, 4, 5, or 7es.

5. Craig_Kg

The DBs are sold as QS series components outside Nth America so they are in between the DE and ES series. As such, their quality is far better than Sony DE series if not quite up to the true ES components.
    Are all HKs built to ES levels?

6. EricRV

EricRV Auditioning

Essentially it does just look like a re-badged DB, but at least it has some "trickle down", or at least I hope so.

Eric.

7. Blake R

Blake R Stunt Coordinator

I know nothing about the Sony but I can provide this testimonial on the 520: You will not be dissapointed.

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the only comparison i can give between the DB series and the avr-520 is the power ratings...

the db1070 was rated at 31wx5

the 520 almost certainly puts out its power rating like nearly every other H/K receiver i've seen tested...the 510 put out 74wx5

the 3es was rated at 105wx5.

but....your lookin to use it as a pre/pro....hmm...maybe amp quality is also a sign of good circuitry

9. Craig_Kg

See my comments in this thread about the S&V power output test that everyone loves to quote.