AVR 520 Surround Volume Problem (??)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_VI, Apr 19, 2002.

1. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

I've had my new AVR-520 for a couple of weeks, and in the past day or two I've noticed an interesting problem (well, let's call it an "issue" for now). While watching DirecTV in Logic-7 mode, all of a sudden the surround speakers jump WAY up in volume, almost matching the center speaker. And it sounds like a center channel signal, too (full dialog). I have to spend some more time on this, but have any other AVR-520 owners noticed this?

BTW, I use a Hughes GXCEBOTD DirecTIVO and connect it to the AVR-520 with an optical digital audio cable.

Thanks!

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I have a 320 and use the same DirecTivo box that you do. When does this issue happen? Is it at random intervals, or only during commercial breaks? On my set-up, the volume levels are definitely pumped up during the commercials and it has nothing to do with the receiver--my old Onkyo receiver had this too. If this is the issue, it's because of the way that commercials are recorded, not in anything that the receiver is doing. In fact, because the HKs have more dynamic headroom, it could actually exacerbate the problem. Try watching a DVD in Logic7 to see if the same thing happens.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Logic7 basically works on the same principal as Dolby Surround. Anything that's recorded at equal volume in each channel, but out-of-phase, is considered 'surround' information. If a commercial or program hasn't been recorded properly (like the whole thing being out-of-phase), it will all be considered surround info.

Now if this is coming and going completely randomly on any channel and during the program itself, there's something wrong with either the receiver, or your DirecTV box.

4. Zack West

Zack West Extra

John, I've had this issue as well on my HK 320 in Logic 7 mode. In the middle of watching tv through my digital cable box connected through standard stereo rca cables, I will get the "audio shift". All the sound from the front L,C,R is shifted to the rears and played at a higher volume. I've only read one other mention of this problem, on HTSpot where it was described as:

"I have noticed that Logic7 decoding at times points out matrix encoding errors during transmission or possibly a Logic7 decoding issue. IE: watching DSS/major network/in DD2.0 or PCM - vocalization jumps from center speaker to both rears at times."

I don't know what exactly causes the issue, but if I change the channel then change back again it fixes itself.

5. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Yeah, Zack, that's it exactly. I was wondering if there was a fix for it, or just something I'll have to live with. It's not a big issue, just sort of an annoyance.