Avr 5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pesiba, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

Newbie here! A have a question about the HK AVR 5. How many own the AVR 5 or did own in the past? What is the performance like, especially for music?

At +/- 35 Amps, the AVR 5 is comparable to the AVR 325 except of course the newer HK have more wpc rating. I'm thinking of using the AVR 5 to power two JBL N38 fronts. Will the AVR 5 deliver?

Lots of questions. Bear with me. Can anyone explain why for example the AVR 5 is rated at +/-35 Amps yet has less wpc than say the AVR 325?

So what is your experience with the AVR 5? Thanks.

Pesiba

2. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

How many WPC is the AVR5? Are you planning on using it for stereo only or surround? What is the sensitivity of your JBLs? If you're only going stereo, and you have >90 dB sensitivity speakers, you'll probably be okay w/ the 5.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

For comparison, my AVR110 is +/- 25 amps (whatever that means), and is 40w*5. I have 86db efficient NHT bookshelves and I have no problem with loudness until I get to the top of the scale. Then things get a bit compressed, but that's Really Loud by then, anyway.

You shouldn't have a problem with loudness.

http://harmankardon.com/specificatio...d=AVR5&sType=H

Looks to be the same as mine W/out the DD/DTS on board.

4. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

AVR 5 specs;

35x5 wpc or 45x2 wpc, +/-35 Amps HCC

JBl N38's: sensitivity, 90db; 8 ohm; max watts, 175.

I'll be using the receiver for mostly music (stereo) and occassionally some movie. I don't have center and surround speakers yet. But my intention is to use the AVR 5 to power the JBLs. I heard the JBL speakers are "power hungry", I don't know what that means but my guess is the receiver must be able to provide the power (current)?

I could buy a newer HK, say AVR 325, but as I mentioned in my previous post the AVR 5 has the same amp rating although there's no digital inputs or processing etc. It's the power I'm looking for. Thanks again for the responses so far.