AVR 325 really HOT!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewErickson, Sep 14, 2003.

1. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

I'm unhappy with the heat produced by my receiver so I bought a 12V DC adapter and a Panaflo 80 mm case fan. I'm going to replace the stock fan with the Panaflo and plug the DC adapter into the switched outlet.

This way, the fan is running all the time and will keep the receiver cooler.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you don't like the heat produced by the H/K gear, then look at something with a digital amp - like the new Sony "ES" gear starting with their 2000ES model.

3. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

H/K has receivers with digital amps as well...

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Andrew: You're not worried about all the dust that a continuosly-running fan could pull into the receiver? Or does the H/K use one of those aluminum "wind tunnel" heatsinks with the fan mounted on one end & no air blows across any internal circuitry?

I wouldn't worry about the heat issue because I'm sure Harman's engineers took the heat issue into account when designing this component. My Technics SA-DA8 receiver can almost burn your hand when its simply idling--its fan only operates during power amplifier "surges"--but its been running for 2+ years everyday and has absolutely no problems (the upper & lower cooling vents are only @2" by 6" slots, probably to make sure the air stream created by the fan flows directly across the heatsink in between).

LJ

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well if the reciever is somewhat warm to the touch then just move it out of a cramped area. If it doesn't have enouh ariflow on it's own then of course it will end up getting hot. It's better just to let it breath and not keep it locked up or there might eventually be a problem.