AVR 320 binding posts??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Craig0, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Craig0

Craig0 Auditioning

Hi all,

I just recently received my Harman Kardon AVR 320 AV receiver and have a question regarding the binding posts. The posts for the FL,C,FR unscrew completely, but the binding posts for the surround left and right do not unscrew all the way.....Is this normal? Are you supposed to be able to remove the binding posts completely or not??

Why would there be a difference? A Harman Kardon rep told me that they were not suppose to come out all the way, but he could not answer why the the front channels were different.

I also questioned him that if I can't get the posts out then I cannot use spade lugs....he advised that spade lugs were not the ideal connection...this is of couse contrary to what I have read in other posts

TIA

Craig

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Craig,

I think it's not that big a deal if the binding posts for the surround channels do not come off--bananas are perfectly find connectors for the surrounds, IMHO. Far more important in my book are the fronts and center. As for your original question, I'm sorry but I don't know the answer--never tried unscrewing them all the way and I suspect that many owners use bananas for those as well. I guess I'll be finding out for myself soon as I'm trying out cables from Mapleshade soon (they don't use connectors). Good luck!

3. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

My 310's surround posts do not come off. It was rather annoying trying to get 12 gauge wire through the openings!! I now use banana plugs, and that made it a heck of a lot easier, of course!!

So no, my surround posts do not come off, whereas the fronts' and center's do.

4. Swami

Swami Agent

They should just call it a 4-way binding post.

I went through this "fit a square peg in a round hole thing" too!

Swami

5. Keith^S

Keith^S Extra

Pardon my ignorance of this subject, but I was about to post this question when I decided to do a search on it. This thread came up and it's exactly what I'm looking for. It's really a hassle trying to get the speaker wires through the connectors that don't unscrew all the way off. I see banana plugs being recommended for the surrounds.

I'm using a Harman Kardon AVR-230 and I'm looking to buy connectors (same for speaker and receiver because I'm using Harman Kardon HKB 6 bookshelf speakers).

Banana plugs were recommended for the surrounds...does that mean that another type of connection is optimal for the front speakers? If so, what? I'm really new at all this, thanks for any help.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I use banana plugs for every speaker. The fact is, I doubt the vast majority of people would ever be able to tell the difference between bananas and spades. Use what works for you.

7. Keith^S

Keith^S Extra

Banana plugs it is then. Thanks for the info!

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

the best connector is actually nothing; just bare wire.

the ends we use are for convenience.

9. Keith^S

Keith^S Extra

That's my prime reason for researching this subject. It was kind of a hassle trying to get the wires into the binding posts since some of them don't unscrew all the way. I spent a ton of time splitting the wire down the middle and then trying to get them to both wrap around the binding post since the post wouldn't unscrew all the way.