What's new

Avr 1912 or Rx-v671, your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I came across this post and i just want to add that it's common for manufacturers to exaggerate the real watts per channel figure, the Yamaha RX-V671 has been tested running all seven channels and found to be 53 watts per channel, that's the realistic figure when all seven channels are driven, of course with 2 channels it's 90watts. I do wish manufacturers would stop with the numbers game and just give us the real world figures, with a home cinema amp the important figure is the 5 and 7 channels driven number and NOT the 1 or 2 channels driven number they usually provide.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
LIke others have said, forget about watts. Differences between 80, 110, 125, 140 are virtually meaningless. Going from 80 to 140, assuming they are rated the same, will yield a small difference in volume. 80 watts per channel in one brand may be louder and more powerful then 125 watts per channel in another. Look at some of the 15-30 wpc tube amps that sell for $5000 or more, sometimes a lot more. They can typically power lower efficiency speakers just fine. You can add an older, inexpensive amp from Parasound, Carver or others and add a lot of power to just about any typical receiver

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mr645 /t/311642/avr-1912-or-rx-v671-your-thoughts#post_3939141
LIke others have said, forget about watts. Differences between 80, 110, 125, 140 are virtually meaningless. Going from 80 to 140, assuming they are rated the same, will yield a small difference in volume. 80 watts per channel in one brand may be louder and more powerful then 125 watts per channel in another. Look at some of the 15-30 wpc tube amps that sell for $5000 or more, sometimes a lot more. They can typically power lower efficiency speakers just fine. You can add an older, inexpensive amp from Parasound, Carver or others and add a lot of power to just about any typical receiver

In the past i tended to look at how heavy the AV Receiver was and how much power consumption it took from the mains to determine quality, not sure you can really do that with today's receivers but that's how i used to look at it, i do think they are adding things like Audessy, Apple Airplay and some other things which all need to be licensed and this means less money for the all important Amp section, i sometimes think people look too much at the extra features and don't pay enough attention to how a modern amp sounds, not saying that is the case at this site but i see it happen from time to time.

I think power makes a difference when you have transient peaks and are playing at reference level high volumes, better to have extra power on tap should you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks