AVR 125 Vs. AVR120 i really need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyden, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

ok i have the chance to grab a AVR125 for 279 open box no remote or manual or i can get an AVR120 brand new in the box and everythingfor 199.99 from B-stock at cambridge soundworks so wich one should i grab? im on a really tight budget here. but whats the differance between the two? and can they push 200 watt speakers rated at 90db???? i must know this please help

2. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the AVR 120 new in the box from Cambridge Soundworks. You really need a fully functional remote in order to help calibrate correctly from your listening position, and buying just any universal remote will most likely not work. You will then find that the factory remote is very expensive.

I think the 125 has 5 more watts a channel listed, which IMHO is negligle. I own the 120 and it has plenty of juice for my Paradigm setup which has similar sensitivity to what you have listed.

Bill

3. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hmm thanks [​IMG] whts ur opinion on the AVR 120? and does it have Dolby Prologic II decoding? i use that for my MP3's kinda a must cuz some of them wont work with the original DPII and does it have the bass manegement that the AVR125's and 225's have ?

4. JimBarrese

JimBarrese Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the 125. I bought the 220 from HIFI.com (which has bascially the same specs as the 125, but is from last year like the 120). I noticed several small things that made me feel it wasn't built as well as this years models. First, when playing audio CD through digital inputs, it often muted or put a "pop" at the begining of tracks. Second, when ever an input was hooked up through an analog input (say the CD player) you could here bleed thru when another analog input was selected (say video 1). Lastly, when ever you plugged in headphones, sound would still bleed through the speakers even though they were supposed to be muted. Needless to say I returned it and got a 125 and couldn't be happier (well except for the fact it's a little underpowered). Plus the 125 does have 5 more watts of power, which can only help.

If you go to HIFI.com (which is cambridge soundwords online) they have the 125 currently onsale for $299 new with no tax and free shipping. Plus there should still be a 10% off discount code floating around online which brings the total down to $270 new. I know you can get it for this price because I just called them today to have them price adjust my order to that new price (I paid $323 a few weeks back).

5. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

I haven't had any of the problems that Jim had with his 220, but if you can get a new shipped 125 for $273 I would go with that option. My main concern was that you are really hobbled without a factory remote for your receiver.

Either the 120 or the 125 both have Dolby Pro Logic II and also Logic 7 which does what Pro Logic II does but even better.

Either way I think you can't lose.

Bill