AVR-125 vs AVR-325

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Vic_P, May 26, 2003.

1. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a new surround receiver and I'm leaning towards the HK line. The AVR-125 is easily in my budget and I think would suit my room (14X14) and speakers (Polk RM6005) just fine. BUT (there's always a BUT!) everyone on this board seems really high on the 325. Is there an appreciable difference for a room/setup my size?

I read all the techno-garble about each of the receivers and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Can someone break it down to brass tacks and tell me if it's worth the extra $150???

Thanks!

Vic

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

125 is a pretty solid receiver. With that in mind, I'm going to answer your question with more questions [​IMG]

1. Do you ever see yourself going 6.1/7.1 (325), or will you stick with 5.1 indefinitely (125)?

2. Do you have multiple component video sources? the 325 switches component, the 125 does not. (common component video sources are DVD, satellite/HD box)

3. Would you consider upgrading down the line? the 325 offers a full set of preouts, the 125 does not. Basically, if somewhere down the line, you want to add an external power amplifier for better quality, more powerful, you have this option with the 325. Note that this is also a path to separates.

IMO, the 125 is a good choice if you want to get it and forget it. If you're into later upgrades, maybe the 325 is better for you.

Is it worth it? It really depends on what you want to do with it down the line. FWIW, I've got the old 320, and everything I use on it right now I could do with a 120 (or 125). However, I like having the full set of preouts (maybe a power amp is coming in the future).

3. Vic_P

Vic_P Agent

Anyone else????

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I will second Jason's remarks verbatim, FWIW.

5. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I would consider the AVR225 for $359.00 JandR. A little more power than the AVR125 and on screen display will make set up so much easier. I have one in my bedroom system and love it. Check reviews here to compare http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...ml?tag=stbc.gp

6. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have the 125. For your size room and the speakers that you plan on getting, it should be just fine. I have 4 Polk R20's and a Polk center. It plays louder than I would want to listen. It sounds really good.

You will have to decide if you need the things listed in Jason's post. If you do not need those things, the 125 should be just fine.