What's new

Avoiding HTiB: HTD Level One and what $200 receiver? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
After reading several threads praising the JVC DS-TP230 about a year and a half ago, I bought one and have been extremely happy with it. Now I need another similar HT setup, but I'm having trouble finding the DS-TP230 in stock, even at websites listing it as "in stock". The Kenwood HTB-5xx setups are just a tad too expensive for me to try.

Since I can't find a good HTiB in my pricerange (sub $400), I'm thinking about buying the Home Theater Direct Level 1 5.1 speaker set, and adding a separate receiver. What $200 receivers should I consider as a good match for these speakers? The sources will be a PS2 (used as a DVD player) and digital cable, both with S-Video. If the A/V receiver has 2 S-Video inputs, that would be a bonus... but I have no problem running the S-video straight from the source to the TV.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Since I can't find a good HTiB in my pricerange (sub $400),
have you considered the Yamaha Cinemastation VS-10? I have one and it gives very good results for the money, I paid S$800 (about US$450) for it 1.5 years ago but it goes for around S$700 (about US$390) today. but note that it's only a processor and speakers, no DVD player.

alternatively, apparently (from reviews I've read) the Creative Cambridge Soundworks Inspire system is also very good value for money -- I think it costs less than the Yamaha system I have.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HTD Level 1's as the surrounds in my with Def Techs up front for now. They play much better than I thought they would. I won't even run my stereo in 5-speaker mode because it frustrates me to not here 10 times the difference in cost. I think you will be very happy with the HTD Level 1's as a budget system. See if you can find a cheap Yamaha RX-V430 to go with them. I am happy with my 530.

I wanted to add one more thing. If you find a receiver without DPL2, don't worry about. I waited for a receiver with it and was unimpressed.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the primary brands i would look for in your pricepoint would be (in no particular order):

denon
yamaha
onkyo

any of the receivers in your price range will work well. i'm not a real big fan of any of the other brands...i might look at kenwood too, but it's doubtful i would buy.

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
You might want to consider a JVC 6010 receiver here - http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=7409578
Sure it is not in the same league as Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha but it is a full featured DD 5.1 and DTS receiver and should do quite well. The only reason I'm suggesting it because its very cheap and if you upgrade in the future you can easily sell it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks