Avoiding HTiB: HTD Level One and what $200 receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Meininger, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

After reading several threads praising the JVC DS-TP230 about a year and a half ago, I bought one and have been extremely happy with it. Now I need another similar HT setup, but I'm having trouble finding the DS-TP230 in stock, even at websites listing it as "in stock". The Kenwood HTB-5xx setups are just a tad too expensive for me to try.

Since I can't find a good HTiB in my pricerange (sub $400), I'm thinking about buying the Home Theater Direct Level 1 5.1 speaker set, and adding a separate receiver. What $200 receivers should I consider as a good match for these speakers? The sources will be a PS2 (used as a DVD player) and digital cable, both with S-Video. If the A/V receiver has 2 S-Video inputs, that would be a bonus... but I have no problem running the S-video straight from the source to the TV.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Try the Denon 1602.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

4. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I have the HTD Level 1's as the surrounds in my with Def Techs up front for now. They play much better than I thought they would. I won't even run my stereo in 5-speaker mode because it frustrates me to not here 10 times the difference in cost. I think you will be very happy with the HTD Level 1's as a budget system. See if you can find a cheap Yamaha RX-V430 to go with them. I am happy with my 530.

I wanted to add one more thing. If you find a receiver without DPL2, don't worry about. I waited for a receiver with it and was unimpressed.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Check out Refurbdepot.com. I got a fabulous deal on a Pioneer receiver that I love.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the primary brands i would look for in your pricepoint would be (in no particular order):

denon
    yamaha
    onkyo

any of the receivers in your price range will work well. i'm not a real big fan of any of the other brands...i might look at kenwood too, but it's doubtful i would buy.

7. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    You might want to consider a JVC 6010 receiver here - http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=7409578
    Sure it is not in the same league as Onkyo, Denon or Yamaha but it is a full featured DD 5.1 and DTS receiver and should do quite well. The only reason I'm suggesting it because its very cheap and if you upgrade in the future you can easily sell it off.