avm20 settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Dom, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Nick_Dom

Nick_Dom Auditioning

Im sorta new to the whole ht scene. I just purchased a avm 20 and a pva 7. Along with studio 100, studio cc, and pw 2200 sub. I have some old energy take 5 on rear and surround duty(just till i can afford the adp's). What does everyone have their avm settings at. For dd 5.1, dts5.1, dd ex, dts es, stereo, tv, ps2, everything. ive been toying around with different settings for each but cant decide which is best for each one.What about thx ultra2 does anybody use this setting for movies or? What about re-eq, what does it do, on or off?I've obviously read the manual but still cant quite grasp all the choices. So any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Slow down Nick and take a deep breath. First off, VERY nice setup. It sounds like you have a 5 speaker setup...so you should use dd 5.1 and dts5.1 mostly. If you get a bright sounding movie, then turn the re-eq ON, it tames the brightness. Now, if I were you, I WOULD biamp your studio 100's with 2 channels each from the PVA 7 (if using a 5.1 setup).

Next, you can do searches on most of this and get ample information. Heck, you can probably search biamp under my user name, as I have explained this biamp thing way to much.

I would say right off to check the speaker settings. You should have the 100's set to large (or 40hz crossover on the small setting), center to small (crossed over 80hz), rears set to small (80hz). Sub should be ON.