AVM 20 v. 2.0 bug: very loud test tones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I was messing around with my speaker level settings tonight, and I think I've uncovered a bug of some sort. I had the CD input selected (Toslink 1 on my unit), and went into the speaker level calibration menu. Everything was fine. Then I switched to the DVD input, but decided I wanted to check the settings one last time. I went back into the level calibration menu, but this time, when I started the test tone, my left front speaker emitted a horrible piercing noise. At first, I thought I had blown it. However, when I exited the setup menu, I switched back to the CD input, threw in a disc, and it played fine. I went back into the level calibration menu again, and again I heard a VERY loud test tone.

I tried switching the AVM 20 off and then back on, but that didn't help, so I unplugged it for a few minutes. That didn't help either.

When I switch to 6-channel analog-DSP, the test tones are normal. It's only on the digital inputs that I'm getting the loud test tones.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jay,

I know this is of little comfort to you right now, but this does seem to occur from time to time with various processors and receivers based on the posts I have read. I will admit this is the first time I have heard of this particular problem with the AVM-20. Given that Anthem has just released software version 2.03, you may want to perform the upgrade to see if it fixes the problem. The only other suggestion I have is to restore the factory settings and reset your AVM-20.

Michael

3. Jay Sylvester

Thanks for the info Michael. I left it unplugged for 30 minutes, and fortunately it has returned to normal.

I just tried performing the upgrade, but the software says it can't find the AVM 20.

4. Michael Mohrmann

"Thanks for the info Michael. I left it unplugged for 30 minutes, and fortunately it has returned to normal."

The odd part is you may never experience this problem again now that the test tones are working properly. Processors and receivers are too much like computers these days, which sometimes will only work properly when you perform a complete shutdown and power cycle it.

"I just tried performing the upgrade, but the software says it can't find the AVM 20."

The usual reasons for this are (1) wrong or defective serial cable, or (2) your PC/laptop is running software in the background (like for Palm Pilots, screen savers, power management, etc). Be sure to bring up your PC with as few applications running in the background as possible before attempting the upgrade.

Michael

5. Jay Sylvester

Wrong serial cable? I wasn't aware that there was more than one type of serial cable. I'm using a standard cable as far as I know. It could be defective like you suggested. I'll pick up a new one tomorrow and try again.

I'm not running any apps in the background. This PC is for home theater use only, and the only apps I have running at startup are PowerStrip and a control panel for my audio card. I closed both of those, and shut off the screen saver. As far as I know, there's nothing else running.

Unfortunately, I was able to reproduce the problem. It seems going into the level calibration menu while using one input (CD in this case), switching to another digital input (DVD), and entering the level calibration menu again causes the problem to recur. Certainly not a normal function, but avoidable.

Thanks for your help.

6. Michael Mohrmann

Jay,

"Unfortunately, I was able to reproduce the problem. It seems going into the level calibration menu while using one input (CD in this case), switching to another digital input (DVD), and entering the level calibration menu again causes the problem to recur."

An odd thought came to mind. When you switch to the DVD input, is the DSP mode set to Dolby Pro Logic II (DPL II)? If so, your problem may be related to the DPL II issues some have had with the AVM-20. The software upgrade may be the solution to your problem. Which leads me to ...

"Wrong serial cable? I wasn't aware that there was more than one type of serial cable. I'm using a standard cable as far as I know."

Some serial cables are Null Modem cables. These will not work for this application. You need a "straight through" serial cable, where pin 1 maps to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3, etc. If you have an ohm or volt meter handy, you can test your cable.

Michael

7. Jay Sylvester

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jay, did you try it more than once? The reason why I ask is that I tried to install version 2.0 about a dozen times before I actually got it to take perfectly. At least two of those times, the software said it couldn't locate my AVM-20 even though I know I am using the right cable and my PC's serial port isn't used for any other application. Sometimes, it will just say that when you try to run the install. I would definately try a few more times before running out to make any purchases.

9. Jay Sylvester

Yeah, I tried running the installation many times, but it kept telling me not found. Serial cables are pretty cheap in short runs anyway; it would be worth the purchase just to be sure.

10. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jay,
    I had this same problem with some of my installations. Here is a post on the other thread that I added.
    "This 2.03 Version went in like a champ. No failures of any kind, which was unusual. In the past, it took me sometimes 2-4 tries to install a new version."
    The other suggestions such as TSR programs, virus scanning, zone alarm, etc. are great places to start the troubleshooting process.
    If you cannot get your software to install, please give me a PM on here and I have a couple of other tricks that might assist you.
    However, try that 2.03 download and in conjunction with disabling background software and maybe a new cable, it should install.
    Also, I bought my serial cable for this installation at Best Buy. Living in Jersey, home of Tony Soprano [​IMG] I am sure you have one close by your home.
    Let us know how this goes for you.
    Cheers,
    Charles

11. Jay Sylvester

I picked up a new cable at Best Buy, and it detected the AVM 20 on the first attempt, so obviously the cable was the problem. The update to 2.03 succeeded on the first try, and the whole process only took about 5 minutes.

It's funny that you mention the Sopranos, because I'm in the area where they do a lot of their filming. I see places in the show that I recognize all the time. Right down the road from Best Buy is Fountains of Wayne. Remember the cop that Tony had fired a couple seasons back? That's where he ended up working.

Incidentally, is there a list of changes between version 2.00 and 2.03? What exactly was fixed?

12. Michael Mohrmann

Jay,
    "I picked up a new cable at Best Buy, and it detected the AVM 20 on the first attempt, so obviously the cable was the problem. The update to 2.03 succeeded on the first try, and the whole process only took about 5 minutes."
    Excellent! Put a tag on that cable and store in a safe place. I am glad to see that everyone is able to get the upgrade to work on the first try, based on the posts since yesterday.
    "Incidentally, is there a list of changes between version 2.00 and 2.03? What exactly was fixed?"
    As far as I can tell, a fix to the DPL II bug that has been posted on this forum, and improving the EEPROM update software to be more stable. So far so good! [​IMG]
    Michael

13. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Jay:

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

15. Jay Sylvester

It's possible that they don't have the AVM 20 in close proximity to their PC, so they have to move either the PC or the AVM 20 in order to make the upgrade. Since I have an HTPC in the living room in the same rack as the AVM 20, I just left the cable attached.