AVM-20 Review.....finally!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Florian, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Brian Florian

Brian Florian Stunt Coordinator

Yes I finally got it done (just use the link below to get to our home page...it's listed there). To all those who've been looking for it, I thank you for your patience!

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Great review!! I have been looking forward to the review (which I just read). Now all I have to do is find $3K to buy one.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Wow! This pre/pro sounds like a real winner for those lucky folks who can afford the $3000 or so cost. Add to it an additional $500(?) or so bucks for the hardware/software upgrade to DPL2, and then another $300-$600 for a decent tuner and you are set! Sadly, unless I win the lottery or find a unit that fell off a truck, I'll never be able to enjoy the apparent bliss that this unit provides... and if I could, the pricing puts it closer into the realm of a used MB-12 rather than that of the Outlaw 950. Now, if only we could get a 950 to try... [​IMG]

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Brian,

This review was perfect timing for me, as I'm about to give up on the Outlaw, and the AVM 20 is next on my list.

John,

The unit does have a tuner. However, I don't think Brian made a mention of it (nor did I look at it when I played with the unit, as I assumed no antenna was connected to it at the dealer). Or do you know something negative about the tuner?

Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend!

Doug

5. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

".....A DB-9 RS-232 serial port gets the AVM-20 talking to home environment systems, and although it seems banal, antenna terminals are there for the built-in radio...."

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys: Thanks for the clarification on the tuner. I guess I should have searched the article for "radio" and not tuner or FM. DOH! Still, even $3500, heck, even $2500 is too much money for me to spend on a preamp/processor. If the Outlaw 950 is a bust, then I just don't know what I'm gonna do... I guess just wait...[​IMG]

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

John, judging by Outlaw's track record, you are going to wait regardless!!![​IMG]
    I too am in the same boat. Idle amp, no pre, can't afford the alternatives. I'm going to start looking at the used market a little harder.

8. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I've been looking at this piece for sometime waiting for someone to review it. I went down to my local dealer and ordered a black one(supposed to be in 1st week in January) I can't wait!! Merry Christmas to me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dennis: Congrats on your new, New Year's baby! What went into your thinking that made you decide to spend $3000 on a new pre/pro rather than upgrading some of your other components or up to an HDTV? Do you think that you will enjoy the full benefits of the AVM-20 without upgrading other components; or are you planning on upgrading other stuff too? Just Wondering???

Make sure that you have the latest software on that unit when you get it. I think it is 1.20 and it is available on their web site. Anyway congrats again! I bet that that unit is gonna look fantastic in black.

11. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    Thanks John,I am very happy with my speakers which are THX ULRAs as is my Rotel 1095. As for HDTV, it is planned for the next year or two when the DVI FIREWIRE issue is resolved. Hopefully by then there will be more programming available. My main viewing is either digital cable or DVD and from what i've seen and heard, my Mits's ( ISF'd ) picture on NTSC material is probably better. My Toshiba SD9000 is a Cinema series DVD interlaced player which produces a great picture on an NTSC set. This will be upgraded to a progressive scan when the HDTV upgrade is made as my current set has no progressive scan imputs. I also intend to use my Atlantic Tech. 4.5's as rear surrounds and get another Rotel 2 channel amp to power them

12. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

The silver looks cool.

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

$3G and no DTS-ES...
    Brian- Great review! As I was reading it, I was checking off the mental list of items I want for my next pre/pro (I have a Sony TA-E9000ES, with a Shure HTS-5300 DPL processor for Surround EX/DTS-ES).
    (Re-EQ, flexible bass management, internal processing of at least 24/96, nameable inputs, software upgradeable, at least 1 digital rec out, etc...)
    Oh, the best and easy way for proper time alignment? Having the pre/pro do auto level and distance calibration itself, like the Parasound AVC-2500u... (I can input the exact distances into the Sony, but I *still* need to adjust the phase of my sub by -120 deg to get it right.)
    Question: how about DSP movie modes? The particular question is this: THX Surround EX is more or less specifically meant for movies encoded for it. If you apply THX Surround EX decoding to a std DD/DTS movie, and if the surrounds have too much common, mono (in phase) info, the surrounds can collapse into the rears.
    Here it is: Does the Anthem unit specifically have a DSP mode for std DD/DTS movies that takes this into account? (To get a *good* sound from a std DD/DTS movie for a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker set up.)
    I.e., instead of straight DPL "matrix" decoding to extract the rear(s) from the surrounds, more like a "3 (or 4) channel stereo" effect back there? Or, simple averaging of the signals between the L + R surrounds to get the rears?
    This inquiring mind wants to know! [​IMG]
    Thanks!!

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dennis: That makes perfect sense to me. Sounds like you are planning on upgrading almost everything and I guess the pre/pro makes as good a place to start as any...

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

16. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

May just pick one up this weekend if my dealer has one (in silver). I'll call him tomorrow. Should go well with my Odyssey amp expected on Monday. Currently auditioning Soundline ribbon speakers with less stellar electronics.

Doug

17. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Yeah, I gave up on the Outlaw 950 and went with the Lex MC-1...and don't regret the decision at all. I'm guessing that I'd even prefer it over the AVM-20 due to all of the Logic7 modes.

18. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Randy.... you caved...? Sounds like you are pleased with it...?

Herb.

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Herb,
    Yeah, I finally caved in. I was sitting on the fence for so long waiting for the 950 and hoping it was gonna have some kind of 7 channel implementation similar to Logic 7(or a future version of 7 channel DPLII). Then, when I heard that the Cirrus Surround(or whatever) merely duplicated the side info(or maybe it split the rear mono channel into 2, can't remember), I was disappointed and gave up. The fact that it was taking forever for 950 release only compounded the problem. I also considered the Integra Research RDC-7 very seriously and dismissed it for the same reason...compromises, compromises.
    Yes, I'm very pleased with my decision, and after listening to what the pros in my audio club said about DVD-A and SACD, I have no regrets at all. After reading a number of negative comments about the
    MC-1 in two-channel stereo, I was somewhat wary.....not anymore.

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Randy- The 950 uses Circle Surround.

Straight DPL decoding to extracts the "rear" channel(s) from the "surround" channels, can collapse the soundstage from the surrounds to the rear(s) if too much mono (in phase) material is present between the L + R surrounds.

This is why a receiver/pre-pro can make a std DD/DTS disc sound like crap if it simply only has this type of decoding for a 6.1/7.1 speaker set up.

With Circle Surround, the idea is to *keep* some of the mono (in phase) material in the surrounds so that this can't happen.

But in my mind, (or until someone educates me), Circle Surround should be defeatable for genuine (THX) Surround EX/DTS-ES discs, as it could definately "smear" the soundstage back there. Less channel separation than what would be meant for by the original audio recording engineers.