What's new

AVM-20 Owners, PLEASE HELP A FELLOW OWNER!! (1 Viewer)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Ok guys, you are going to think I am stupid, but here it goes. I just got my Aragon 2007 and my AVM-20. I hooked everything up. I have two problems. First, when I hook up my DVD player, I get only video. I have tried the left right audio out from the DVD to the analog dvd in on the Anthem. No sound. I tried the digital out on the DVD player to the digital in on Anthem. No sound. I plug the dvd player into the CD or Tape audio and video in.... SOUND!! I can only do Pro Logic on CD or Tape. I used the coax digital when trying the digital out. Is that a special cable? I used a standard interconnect. Do I need an optical? It should work on both. arggggggg.

For the record, when you want Dolby Digital or EX, 7.1, etc etc, do you use just the digital out on the DVD player? Or do you use the left right audio out? I assume left/right those are just for playing cd's, right?

What am I doing wrong? I dont have a sub yet. Do I HAVE to have a sub first? Does it want to see a sub signal before it does the Dolby Digital? I am not understanding. What am I missing? My Current DVD player is the Pioneer DV-444.

Also, I CANNOT hook up my digital cable to the Anthem. I get a HORRIBLY LOUD hum and/or ground loop. I tried different interconnects and even moved the unit up with the tv. (out of the stack) As soon as ANY interconnect, wether video or audio, hit the digital cable box.. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Can I get some sort of filter? I mean, this is my tv signal, I cant NOT have it hooked up.

I am sorry for the simple questions, but I am a novice at this high end stuff. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

Oh dear! Too many issues, I am not sure where to start. First off, I believe you purchase an AVM-20 v1, correct? If so, then you do not have DPL II, DTS-ES, DD-EX, and THX ultra2.

Or do you use the left right audio out? I assume left/right those are just for playing cd's, right?
Actually, with a digital connection, you can play CDs in your DVD player just fine. In most cases, it is the best way to go (vs. using the DVD player's analog connections).

Let's go with this for now and see what issues remain.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

Also, I CANNOT hook up my digital cable to the Anthem. I get a HORRIBLY LOUD hum and/or ground loop. I tried different interconnects and even moved the unit up with the tv. (out of the stack) As soon as ANY interconnect, wether video or audio, hit the digital cable box.. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Can I get some sort of filter? I mean, this is my tv signal, I cant NOT have it hooked up.
Ground loop problems from cable TV is a classic problem. Once it is determined that you have your cable TV box properly connected to the AVM-20, there are a couple of ways to reduce or eliminate the hum. But I would recommend solving the other issues first and save this one for last.

Michael

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Yes. But you will need to make sure that in the setup menu that the digital connection has been selected for the DVD player. The AVM-20 does not auto-select between analog and digital connections.
Now, this means when I set it to digital, I can use EITHER digital coax OR Optical TOSLINK right? Or do I have to differenciate between Digital Coax or Optical as well?

Again, sorry for my simple dimple questions.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

Now, this means when I set it to digital, I can use EITHER digital coax OR Optical TOSLINK right? Or do I have to differenciate between Digital Coax or Optical as well?
Yes. With the AVM-20, most inputs can have a direct digital coax input assignment. If you set it to "RCA", then the coax input on the back panel with the same label as your selection (i.e. DVD) will be used. For the Toslink connection, you have three (TOS1, TOS2, TOS3) and you must designate which one of those are assigned to your input. And then there is a third digital input type called XLR, which is the balanced digital input. This assignment needs to be made in the setup menus (menu #2, look for the DVD input).

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

What version of software is installed with your AVM-20? It should tell you when you power up the AVM-20, or you can access the status menus via the status button on the front panel for the information (press the status button to toggle through the status menus).

Michael

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Michael. Thanx for your help by the way. Right now its the v1.0

Next week I will be taking in to get upgraded to v2.0

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Adam,

Right now its the v1.0
Is that v1.00, v1.05, v1.10, v1.12 or some other version? If it is v1.00, then you got one of the original AVM-20s. When it is less than v1.12, I would normally suggest upgrading to the latest v1.x version (v1.12). But since you are getting the v2.x upgrade soon, let the dealer install the latest version of v2.x.

BTW, if you have not performed any speaker calibrations or system setups via the menus, I would perform a factory defaults reset. This will give you a clean slate of parameters to start from and may get you some output from your DVD player's coax digtal output. Check the v1.x owner's manual, page 50, menu 11 in the setup menus.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks