Avia

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RichardJB, Aug 14, 2006.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know where I can get a Avia calibration dvd?

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Amazingly enough, Google does. [​IMG] Amazon.com seems as good a source as any from their list.

Regards,

Joe

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You can buy direct from ovation, or from amazon, etc.

You can also likely buy or order it from a local retailer that sells DVDs.

Same goes for DVE(except replace Ovation with the DVE website of course!).

4. Dan J

Dan J Agent

Is this still the disk to get? The reviews on Amazon seem to be bashing the heck out of it because it's so old (technology-wise).

If it is still the way to go, does anyone want to overnight there's to me for a better deal than Amazon? [​IMG] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...x=8&y=13&s=dvd

Thanks,
    Dan

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Avia still works fine for basics. As does DVE. PAtterns are patterns basically. There are a couple things I prefer Avia for (color patches and ease of use) and others I prefer DVE for (ramps and PLUGE and levels testing).

Avia's narrations are dated in that they focuse heavily on explaining CRTs, but the patterns work just fine for digitals too.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If you have a 16x9 HDTV and you're only planning to get just one (1) Video Calibration DVD, ... I'd recommend Digital Video Essentials (DVE), because ...

1) The Video Test Screens are made for Digital TV's since they are 1.78:1 anamorphic vs. AVIA letterbox non-anamorphic screens.

2) DVE 3-Color Filters are contained in a cardboard holder which is easily handled (no fingerprints) vs. AVIA - which includes 3 individual film loose strips that you must find & handle (think fingerprints)

3) IMHO, DVE Top Menu system makes it easier to reach the REFERENCE Video Test Screen (in 5 remote button selections) and Navigate back and forth vs. AVIA
    .... a. I have AVIA, VE, DVE, Sound & Vision HT Tune-up & Dolby Labs EX Test Calibration DVD's

FYI: Based on my DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A1 & Panasonic S77s (previoiusly owned), DVD-A115U (vacation house) and RP56.

You can get Digital Video Essentials for $16.48 w/FREE SH @ DeepDiscountDVD.

Use the 20%-Off coupon SUPERSALE and save even more (good until Nov. 18, 2006)

DVE works so well, I have my HD DVD DVE pre-ordered! [​IMG]

Phil

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

1) Not really an issue.

2) Agree.

3) I think DVE is a pita to navigate in many systems and much prefer Avia in terms of navigation.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

1) An Issue - if you don't want to use your HDTV scaler to expand the video screen.
    .... a) I personally want corner to corner (1.78:1) Video Test Screen Image, ... without using the HDTV internal scaler.

3) I could not navigate back and forth using AVIA the other night - I had to use the Top Menu button and retrace my steps back to the sub-menu's & clutter. Could be my Toshiba HD-A1, but I remember the same thing happening on my Panasonic S77s using AVIA.

Phil