What's new

Avia YC Delay pattern on Sony 775 & 975 DVD Players (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've recently compared the Sony 775 and 975 DVD Players using component 480P.

Closely doing A/B comparisons with several different movies, the video quality appears to be identical.

Using Avia, I put in the Zone Plate test --- again, everything identical.

However, using Avia's YC Delay pattern, the 975 player is at 0; the 775 player is around +.07. Is this significant and what does it mean? I do understand component cable length can alter this, however, the cables are about the same length for each player.

I've been doing searches on this forum and on the internet and can't find much out about YC Delay as it relates to DVD players. Avia does give a brief tehcnical description of it. But, I was wanting to know more about the practical/viewing implications of it.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
In analog circuitry, the longer the time delay in a circuit the narrower its bandwidth, meaning a decrease in your available colour resolution [already pretty small given the DVD spec 4:2:0 sampling pattern]. In a digital circuit it would mean a clock error. In either case, if the value is of any considerable magnitude [I do not know what the range or scale of values you are using is] you may notice colour fringes at the edges of objects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks