What's new

AVIA vs Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

DenisL

Auditioning
I want to buy a DVD disc to calibrate my TV. Should I be getting the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD?

Audio calibration is less important to me. Video quality is my priority.

BruceF

Auditioning
They both do an excellent job. I prefer Avia because it has more extensive set of tests for both audio and video. That, and Guy will stop by the forum here and explain things which makes me glad I have Avia...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For setting black level, I like how Avia's bars are moving so it makes them easier to see and to ensure your eyes aren't playing tricks. Video Essentials' bars remain static, making them a bit more diffiuclt to see.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Dave. Both are excellent discs but AVIA makes it easier to set black level correctly.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As above. Plus AVIA does a more "exact" job of setting up front projectors if you ever get one of those. Video Essentials does have the video material at the end which is lacking from AVIA. For audio, AVIA is much more complete.

The pros can say what they want but I just use AVIA for correct color temp and brightness. Everything else I leave up to my personal taste.

Avia is a little easier to use

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks