What's new

Avia vs. Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I am wanting to buy a calibration disc and I would like to know which one you guys recommend. I was going to get the DVE when it comes out, but since its release date was pushed back to next year Im going to buy one now. So which do you say I get and why?
Also, where would you recommend I get a copy for a cheap price?
Thanks!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Avia is laid out more intuitively, and I prefer the video test signals as they're a little easier to use. But I still use Video Essentials for basic test tones as they work a little better for me. Either product is fine, but you will probably get more mileage out of Avia.
PS. I'm moving this to Software.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, although it's not too popular, I use Ultimate DVD Platinum. It's a 2 disc set that has DTS and DD demos, widescreen vs. p/s demo, demos for using parental lock, multi-aspect, language/subtitle usage on the first disc and test patterns(audio and video) for calibration on the second disc. The only thing it's mising is an overscan pattern (although the geometry pattern can be used for this purpose). Theres also some video demos(still and clips) and audio demos on this disc. Also comes with a blue filmstrip filter.
The big plus is that it's only $20 (less online).
Plus ther's 5.1 audio from Queensryche, Jan Hammer, Tangerine Dream and others.
BTW, I have used both VE and Avia (both borrowed) and neither one has anything so different(or better IMO) as to warrant the price difference(especially for Avia).
[Edited last by Leroy on October 20, 2001 at 10:54 PM]
[Edited last by Leroy on October 20, 2001 at 10:57 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i picked up my copy of VE on eBay (using BuyItNow) for $20 shipped. that's the best deal you can get IMO, although that disc Leroy was talking about sounds interesting...
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

andy_brehm

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that you could pick up new copies of VE off Ebay for about that much which made it very appealing. At that price, AVIA is about twice that much, which is why I was wondering if it was really worth the money. I know that calibration is important, but I figure that all of them should do a comprable job, of course I am no expert which is why I am asking others opinions.

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
are any of these discs available domestically in the UK? They don't seem to be something that domestic importers stock.
I think the Ultimate DVD series are out over here, but I'm not sure about the platinum one. Would that have enough information for a basic video and audio calibration (with SPL meter)?

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Try this link for VE. I got it several months back for under US$20 including shipping. Found Avia at Amazon.com under $40 with a coupon.
------------------
--RR

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You know I think come early next year Digital Video Essentials is really going to be the one to go for, depends if you can hold out until around Feb to get it. That said, worth calibrating asap so finding an existing release of VE or Avia as cheaply as possible would be a good plan. I have VE and despite it's navigation issues I could not praise the disc more.
Dan (UK)
PS: Richard, to my knowledge there was never a domestic release of Video Essentials. Of Avia, I acan't be sure. Digital Video Essentials will be getting a domestic UK release next year however.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I got my copy of Video Essentials from DVDStreet.co.uk who I used to get a lot of discs form, unyil they started charging postage :) I havn't found anyone who sells the Avia disc, except dvdconcept.com who import from the US. I'm pretty sure Video Essentials is NTSC, region 0, but I've never actually looked :)
[Edited last by Richard Cooper on October 21, 2001 at 08:40 AM]

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I opened up my Toshiba SD-5109 (over a year ago) and was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of VE included. Personally, I wish they would include something similar with every DVD player. Would be great for Joe Six Pack.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I have both discs,and I prefer Avia because it's easier to use. If your buying one now that's the one I recommend.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have both. I find that AVIA is more complete in audio and video setup than VE but when I use VE, I can set up the audio on my system in 1 minute flat, AVIA takes me longer to use. Both set up your audio video fine although you will find AVIA better if you have a front projection setup.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
AVIA for me!! I wish more rental outlets would rent both titles, though. I'm working on that for my store right now. $50 is a lot for a disc, but for the amount spent on a TV, it's worth it. For some, though, they should be okay with the occasional rental.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks