What's new

AVIA vs. THX OPTIMODE (2 Viewers)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Besides the fact Avia leads you through all the steps of calibrating your system with easy to follow tutorials, THX optimode calibration is *only* for the movie it is issued with and does not necessarily get your system to a "standard" calibration. Compare your settings from one THX Optimode calibration to the next and you will be surprised at the differences. Avai is standardized and is much easier to use.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Avai is standardized and is much easier to use.
Ditto that. I personally find that the THX patterns are very difficult to get right. Of course, they are free with the movie, so you could say that they are worth what you pay for them.

If the cost of Avia is a problem, get the Sound and Vision HT Tune Up. It is essentially a subset of Avia at about 1/2 the price, PLUS, I think I read that it had DTS test tones, in addition to DD.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
grimball,

You need to google AVIA. You will find out what you want to know.

Yes, to properly calibrate the audio side of a system, you will need an SPL meter.

Happy Googling.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks