Avia VS Sound and vision.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Gio, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Rich Gio

Rich Gio Extra

I'm going to buy one of them. Avia is 35$ , Sound and vision is 18$. I've heard good things about the Avia.Don't know much about Sound and Vision. Any opinions as to how they compare?

2. MartyK

MartyK Agent

The sound and vision disk is very basic in nature. I'd go with the Avia test disk.

3. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

>The sound and vision disk is very basic in nature. I'd go with the Avia test disk. <

Why do you say that? Do you have both DVD's. Just from what I have read and no one has really done a direct comparison the S&V disk has everthing the AVIA disk has.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks Bob

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Ooooh:

A buddy of mine just got the S&V disc. He's busy with something else in his house, so he's letting me borrow it. (I also have Avia.)

My *impression* is that the S&V disc is more or less the same as Avia (still has the name Avia on it, as well as David Ranada as before), but it adds 6.1 speaker level calibration.

Anyway, I will play with it this weekend, and then try to post what I see (and hear!).

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I am interested in this subject as well, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Where do you guys buy these discs online?

6. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

I have boh discs, and skimmed through the S&V disc yesterday. From what I have seen, it is indeed a very basic disc. There are not nearly the number of test patterns for video that are on Avia. It's more like a selection of test patterns from Avia. There are 16 video test patterns I believe. The audio test patterns are also much more limited in scope, but they do have a full set of test patterns for DTS as well as 6.1 matrix and discrete. If your receiver or pre/pro allows you to calibrate to different levels depending on the surround format, this is handy to have.

The actual guide portion of the disc for setting up your theater is very similar to Avia, though it is a more straight forward approach. They do have some really nice gear to demonstrate on.

Overall, I'd say that if you're looking for a nice, basic setup and test disc, this one has enough for you to get the job done. It lacks the advanced tests for audio and video that are found on Avia, but if you weren't going to use them, then you'll save yourself some money as the best of those patterns (for the most part) are on this disc. If you have a 6.1/7.1 system this disc is a must own.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i suspect sean is right on the money. i've never seen avia or ve, but my first impression of the s&v is that it's pretty basic. it worked well for me, but i would have preferred a little more tweaking capability. for 15 bucks it's hard to beat...that's only three trips to in-n-out burger!
    here's my mini review from another thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=39469

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The S&V disc also includes some DTS stuff. Avia doesn't. But don't know if that makes much difference or not.
    And "oops": no mention of Avia on the S&V disc, but it is also by Ovation Software, same as Avia.
    Maybe the S&V disc is simply a "dumbed down" version meant more for the masses than Avia... [​IMG]

9. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

According to Joel Silver of I.S.F., the IRE window patterns on Avia are all slightly green, which can throw off a color analyzer.

-Christian