What's new

Avia vs DVE vs other (1 Viewer)

Brad_c_g

Agent
I was about to buy Avia based on peoples comments on ease of use vs DVE. I noticed that that avia is 1.33 aspect and DVE is 1.78 aspect. Will they do both though? I plan on using the Avia for a projector and 16:9. Does the 1.33 aspect affect this at all?

Also what the kit called Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD and DISCWASHER 1509 Home Theater Calibration Disc

are these not as good as Avia and DVE? Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The Monster disc does not contain video test patterns. As such I consider it useless in aligning a video display.

Avia v. DVE has been discussed at length. I prefer some of Avias patterns and ease of use. I especially like the animated colorbars patterns which aids with precision.

However, Avia is limited to 16-235, while DVE has some full range patterns which are useful. This has particular benefits with digital displays.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Hey Chris,

Would you happen to know which Patterns on Avia and DVE could be used to test the image quality of a DVD player (something like the HQV disc)?

I have Avia and DVE -- thought about ordering the HQV disc, but figured I could find most of the patterns on Avia and DVE. Also, I hear the HQV disc tests a lot for video...yet 99.99% of what I watch are film-based DVDs.

On Avia, for example, there are resolution patterns (100 and 200), YC Delay, blacker than black, and white crush.

What are some others? Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Of a DVD player? You could look at things like motion tests and deep ramps for clipping and things like that.

Avia does not have BTB or peak white patterns encoded, it is 16-235 limited as I described above. You would need to use Avia PRO or DVE for that.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For a DVD player, yes. You're right about the BTB and white being on DVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks