What's new

Avia versus Receiver Test Tones (2 Viewers)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

You did REF Calibrate your HT Speakers @ 75 dB, using the internal Denon1804 test tones right?

Anyway, that's a good way to verify where your REF Calibration Mark is for your non-DVD sources like DPL Cable TV programs, VHS Tapes, etc.

With my Yamaha RX-V1300, my REFERENCE Calibration Digital Readout is as follows:

1) Dolby Labs DD-EX DVD = -19.5 @ 75 dB
2) RX-V1300 INT test tones = -20.5 dB @ 75 dB
3) Sound&Vision DD-6.1 DVD = -14.5 dB @ 85 dB
4) Sound&Vision DTS-6.1 DVD = -19.5 dB @ 85 dB

The only interesting anomaly is S&V DD-6.1 vs. Dolby Labs DD-EX REF Level results, ... a 5 dB difference, whereas the S&V DTS-6.1 REF Level is IDENTICAL.

When I get another opportunity, I'll run the S&V DD-6.1 test tones again using 75 dB to see what my REF Calibration Digital Readout is!?!

In all cases above, on my RX-V1300, the Fronts R&L, Center, Side SURR R&L SPL's are essentially identical all within ±1 dB.

Now, the Rear Center Channel varies by being a bit higher dB SPL vs. Dolby Labs DD-EX test tones.

My final decision on which source to set my Rear Center Channel SPL level was based on the DD-5.1/6.1 trailers, some trailers from the DTS DEMO 4 & 5, and some of my favorite blockbuster DVD's!

Dolby Labs DD-EX DVD sounded more accurate by seamlessly blending the 6.1 encoded & forced-ON effects without being overbearing or calling attention to those tracks - a goal that the Mixing Engineers are reminded to achieved by the director of the film.

Phil

Chase_Smith

Auditioning
Well, here's what I did with Sound and Vision.

I set my receiver to -20, and calibrated all speakers to read 85db on the meter set to 80, Slow, C-weighting.

I then ran the subwoofer level, but instead of unplugging my left front speaker and setting the sub level to 85db avg, I instead left the front speaker in, and saw what it read on the meter, which was about 84db avg.

I then set the sub to the same avg level, so that the needle moved from 83db to 85db, and the transition is near perfect.

Everything sounds much cleaner now, and the bass is pretty much dead-on.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks