avia/VE vs. receiver tones vs. THX OPTIMIZER

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_K, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Well guys, I have spent weeks trying to properly calibrate my mains, center, rear and new SVS sub. I kept tweaking, and repositioning, and just wasn't very satisfied. Even thought I got a perfect level match with my SPL meter, my left main seemed to be too loud, my center was weak, and the right rear was the only rear I could hear very well. This was all with my Denon's test tones calibrated to 75 db at 00 on the volume.

I discovered the THX Optimizer on my Toy Story DVD, and ran the tones on there with my Denon at 00. Boy was there a difference. I had to back off many of my channels by as much as 5-6 db! I finally got all the channels to match at 75 db, set the sub to 80, and walla! Everything sounds so much better. If this new setting is reference at 00, I can finally take it. Before, I could never stand 00 for more than a second.

Can anybody here tell me if the test tones on the THX optimizer are more/less accurate than that of AVIA or VE? Also, I know AVIA calibrates at 85db, and VE at 75. Can somebody compare this who has Toy Story for us with the THX optimizer tones?

Thanks,

Troy

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I've learned now that Optimode pretty much is useless. Even THX on their website says not to use it to adjust speaker level volumes. I got the new Sound and Vision Home Theater Setup DVD, and it rocks. See my review/results in my new thread.

Troy