What's new

Avia/VE calibration (1 Viewer)

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Just when I think I'm doing something right, I find I need to go back to HT 101 and start all over.
How do you properly calibrate video with Avia/VE? Do you only calibrate for DVD?
I figured you connect the DVD player (RP91 in my case) directly to the TV with component cables and go from there. I now find out that this connection bypasses the TV color decoder so I end up calibrating the DVD player's color decoder instead.
But if this is so, then why does the TV remote/video menu change anything? And where does that leave color settings for cable/vcr viewing?
I noticed my settings changed quite a bit on my JVC std def TV when I hooked it to the DVD player with S-video (so I could compare it to the new digital set connected via component cables). I ran Avia & VE and recalibrated both sets at the same time. I had PScan on (for component out).
I also noticed I had to turn off PS in order to see the blacker-than-black bar on the pluge test with VE... but not with Avia.. (if that matters).
sign me.. dazed and confused in HT dreamland..
------------------
--RR
[Edited last by Rick Radford on October 14, 2001 at 07:12 AM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
First off, if you watch your movies on DVD using the component hookup then calibrate for it. If you also have the s-video hookup then you can calibrate for that, assuming your TV has multiple settings. If your TV does have multiple settings, then keep a third setting for TV viewing. When I was using my TV as the main display, I only calibrated for the DVD (s-video) and I did not really care what the broadcast stations looked like, they vary from station to station anyway.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I don't think I have multiple settings available on the TV.. at least I haven't noticed them.. yet.
It's interesting to note that the DVD decoder and the JVC analog set (S-vid) both have -15% green color decoders when calibrated. :/
I guess it's no big deal that I've been calibrating the DVD player this whole time all the while thinking it was the TV. I didn't think about all the stations broadcasting differently anyway.
Hmm. I don't know what either set would do with both component and S-vid connected at the same time. I don't recall a choice of in/out puts anywhere. Guess you just connect and calibrate one at at time.
Thanks.
------------------
--RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibella1120
Recent bookmarks