1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avia/VE calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Just when I think I'm doing something right, I find I need to go back to HT 101 and start all over.
    How do you properly calibrate video with Avia/VE? Do you only calibrate for DVD?
    I figured you connect the DVD player (RP91 in my case) directly to the TV with component cables and go from there. I now find out that this connection bypasses the TV color decoder so I end up calibrating the DVD player's color decoder instead.
    But if this is so, then why does the TV remote/video menu change anything? And where does that leave color settings for cable/vcr viewing?
    I noticed my settings changed quite a bit on my JVC std def TV when I hooked it to the DVD player with S-video (so I could compare it to the new digital set connected via component cables). I ran Avia & VE and recalibrated both sets at the same time. I had PScan on (for component out).
    I also noticed I had to turn off PS in order to see the blacker-than-black bar on the pluge test with VE... but not with Avia.. (if that matters).
    sign me.. dazed and confused in HT dreamland..
    ------------------
    --RR
    [Edited last by Rick Radford on October 14, 2001 at 07:12 AM]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    First off, if you watch your movies on DVD using the component hookup then calibrate for it. If you also have the s-video hookup then you can calibrate for that, assuming your TV has multiple settings. If your TV does have multiple settings, then keep a third setting for TV viewing. When I was using my TV as the main display, I only calibrated for the DVD (s-video) and I did not really care what the broadcast stations looked like, they vary from station to station anyway.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I don't think I have multiple settings available on the TV.. at least I haven't noticed them.. yet.
    It's interesting to note that the DVD decoder and the JVC analog set (S-vid) both have -15% green color decoders when calibrated. :/
    I guess it's no big deal that I've been calibrating the DVD player this whole time all the while thinking it was the TV. I didn't think about all the stations broadcasting differently anyway.
    Hmm. I don't know what either set would do with both component and S-vid connected at the same time. I don't recall a choice of in/out puts anywhere. Guess you just connect and calibrate one at at time.
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    --RR