Avia test disc on a HDTV ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

My father in law just bought a 65" Mitsubishi TV. Not sure of the model number, but it is a true HDTV (not just HD ready).

I have the Avia test disc, will it work decent on a HDTV ?? Also, he has Direct TV. Does he need the special reciever to recieve HD signals from Direct TV since his TV is already HD?? Can he just buy the special dish, or does he still need both the dish and reciever??

The picture on Satellite doesn't look the best to me.

2. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Avia will calibrate HDTV's just fine. There are a few HD-specific tests that aren't on there but none that you need to calibrate your set, only stuff that might let you evaluate the performance of certain specific features.

To get HD on Dish Network or DirecTV you have to have a special receiver. At least on Dish it also requires a second dish (not just a second LNB but another dish pointed in a slightly different direction). Keep in mind that there are only a handful of channels on the satellites in HD format.

Regular satellite channels look like hell on large screens because they are terribly overcompressed. And then the upconversion from NTSC to 1080i makes the overcompression artifacts even worse. Dish Network usually looks so bad on my 36" direct-view set that I can't imagine watching it on a 65"-er.

It does vary from channel to channel and day to day. For instance, "Enterprise" on WWOR this past Wednesday looked pretty darn good whereas most weeks it it horrible. It probably helped that they had some brightly-lighted outdoor scenes this week instead of the usual dark, murky interiors. Sorry, that's all off-topic from your question.

3. Michael Cook

Thanks for the info. He is picking up some HD channels with a regular antenna. I didn't know this was possible? But the quality isn't that good.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. Michael Cook

yes, he has the tuner built in. The guy at the store told him not to buy a HD antenna until after he tried his regular one first. The weather was really bad last night, he said the picture looked better earlier in the day.

So you purchased a TV without the ATSC tuner because the HD Satellite reciever does the same thing?

p.s. he is about 20 miles south of Atlanta Ga.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You don’t need two dishes for DirectTV HD, but you do need a special one: its elliptical, not round. The reason is the same as for Dish, the dish picks up signals from multiple satellites. There are two versions available: one that picks up two satellites and one that gets three. You may be told that the one that picks up two is sufficient, because the only HD channel on the third satellite is Showtime HD. Get the option that will pick up all three satellites regardless, because DirectTV has already moved one of their HD channels from one satellite to another, and as they add HD channels can be expected to do so again.

Right now DirectTV only has HBOHD, Showtime HD and HDNet. I imagine that given the announcement by ESPN that they will add to the list.