Avia Sub Calibration and Phasing Issue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric A, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Jan 3, 2001
    I was calibrating my system as I have added a new sub. I searched the forum and found Guy Kuo's thread on Avia calibration notes. It is great but I have one question concerning phasing issues. When using the warble tones and checking phasing for each channel I find that the sub performs best in-phase with the left front channel but best at 180 degress for all other channels. I am guessing that it is a positioning issue but I cannot move the sub out of this location. Should I go with the 180 phasing to complement the most channels? To answer the obvious questions that will arise, yes I have checked the left front speaker and it is wired properly internally and externally. Also I only have a phase switch on my sub and not a variable one. I will answer any other questions I have missed. Thanks for the help.
  2. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Jul 15, 2000

I don't know if this is the best solution, but I ended-up averaging the output from the two fronts at the two phase settings, and picked the one with the greatest aggregate output. It also turned out that one of my fronts was corner loaded (limited space/options for placement), so the overall frequency response curve was flattened a bit for the "out of phase" corner loaded front.