What's new

AVIA & Sound & vision Home theater tune up (1 Viewer)

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon is advertising these together at 52.45, do I need them both, is the tune up guide useful.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that doesn't sound like an exceptionally good deal. the s&v dvd is only about 15 bucks. here's an excerpt from a previous post i did about the s&v dvd.

main feature
the main part of the dvd has to do with basic home theater concepts. i found the subjects (ht basics, setup, wiring, etc) pretty simplistic. i suspect most people here will already have a good understanding of this part. i must admit that i did not watch all the features in it's entirety. however, for a "newbie" i think it will provide a great summation of what ht is all about.

video calibration
this consisted of test patterns to help adjust the usual settings: color, brightness, hue, contrast, etc. i found most of the tests pretty useful, especially the brightness and contrast tests. i had some problems with the sharpness test, but i think that was more my fault than anything else. note that the dvd does come with a blue filter to help adjust color and hue. there's also a great test for moire effects. i was pleasantly surprised to see that my original settings, before doing the tests were pretty close. in a couple of cases, i could not get my tv to theoretical perfection, but i know that's more a limit of my gear than anything else. i found this section very useful

audio calibration
the usual stuff on this part. channel identification and phase checks. previously, i had calibrated using the internal test tones of my dvd (i'm using the 5.1 inputs on my older onkyo) but i found that i was off by quite a bit. i ran into some problems with the phase check part...i think it was supposed to do my mains, the left-center, but for some reason, at one point, it kept bouncing between the two tests. i didn't worry too much since i *know* my speakers are in phase. again, a very useful section.

extras
there's some nice demo stuff, including dts and thx trailers. there's also a quick featurette on how to use the radio-shack spl meter.

so, all in all, for 15 bucks i'm not complaining. i've never used avia or ve, so i don't really have anything to compare it to. i do wish some of the tests were more complex (i wonder if i could have tweaked it a little more with additional tests?), but at this price-point, it is a a worthwhile tool.

Kamal_K

Stunt Coordinator
well, the avia disc is 37 dollars which leaves 15 for the sound and vision guide, sounds like a good deal to me, I just did not know if the guide contains anything that may be useful to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks