Avia setup, help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ole, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

Ok, my Yamaha receiver tone test sends a good signal individually to all 5.1 channels, adjusted to within 1 dB at my sweet spot. So far so good. Then when I run the Avia 5.1 channel identification test, front left, center and right individualize as expected although with a background static (pink noise?). When it goes to each of the two rear channels, I get a signal out of all 5 speakers, including static, not each rear as expected. The LFE comes out of the left front, clear with no static. I also note a similar problem with the phasing test. I checked phasing and am clearly connected red to red and black to black on all channels. I see a bunch of scenarios none of which I like:

1. You don't get good channel separation out of the rear by design
    2. The Avia DVD is bad
    3. The DVD player is bad
    4. The receiver isn't decoding properly.

I do note a distinct rear channel sound when playing a VHS tape encoded in old Dolby Surround that I am not getting with Dolby Digital DVD's. I am linked from my Sony DVD player to the Yamaha with a Monster Toslink cable.

Help!

2. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

Let me simplify the question:

When I run the Avia 5.1 channel identification test, should each rear channel jump out the way the front ones do and should there be pink noise with the dialogue on each channel?

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Yes, you should get a distinct sound out of each of the individual speakers.

(1) Have you tried this test using the test tones/pink noise generated by your receiver? If so, what were the results?

(2) I have the S&V test disc, which is made by the same people that made the Avia disc (Ovation Software). It has several different test signals - speaker ID, Dolby Digital, and DTS test tones. Try it with each and see if you get similar results.

(3) Check the obvious - all speaker and dvd connections; check individual channel settings in your receiver (i.e. make sure all 5 speakers are recognized, with levels set to zero, distance settings are correct etc.).

(4) If you think is the DVD player, try different connections and test each - optical, dig. coax, six channel analog etc.

Good luck.

JayDaniel

4. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jay. With receiver test tones all speakers sound equal and clear. Right now I am using the optical link DVD player to Yamaha. I think my next step is to run try the coax output and if that isn't it run the rear channels out of the DVD player direct into, say, a CD input on my receiver and then run the Avia channel identification tones to see if they come out clear. I'm just not sure what that will tell me, unless I don't get a clear tone in which case it is the DVD player. Just need time, probably not until this weekend.

5. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Ole, make sure your receiver is set to Dolby Digital. If it is set to Prologic it may give you the symptoms described.

6. Ole

Ole Stunt Coordinator

Well, I solved my problem, but I am only relating the solution in case anyone else overlooked the obvious. I have had my Sony DVD for about three years now, and I never realized there was an on-screen setup menu. Gee, what's this 55 page manual for, it looks pretty simple to me! Well in desperation, I dug it out and, boom, there it was.

Using an old Pro Logic surround systems until a few months ago, the system, as it was, worked fine. Cutting to the chase, there were about six settings which prevented the 5.1 from working correct:

Audio DRC was set to Standard rather than Wide Range
    Track Selection was set to Off rather than Auto
    Downmix was set to Normal,rather than Dolby Digital
    Digital Out was set to Off rather than On
    Dolby Digital was set to D-PCM rather than Dolby Digital
    DTS was set to Off rather than On

I was also able to set the screen mode to fit my 16:9 wide screen.

I'm a happy camper now!