Avia & Service menu convergence

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenWW, Dec 20, 2002.

1. BenWW

BenWW Auditioning

I went ahead and accessed the fine convergence in the service menu. Some questions...
    What's the difference between fine and coarse, should I do them both?
    When overlapping w/Avia, which avia covergence grid should I use, and in which mode fine/coarse?
    I heard you set your picture/color/brightness/etc settings in the service menu? What's the benefit of this versus using the regular setup menu?
    When setting convergence, I am only able to move the lines in the center of the screen, the lines on the left/right/and corners of the tv won't move. Is there a way to converge the other lines besides just the center?
    Thanks again, just trying to figure this all out! [​IMG]

2. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

There's a button you press on the remote (I can't remember which one at the moment) that will switch you between CURSOR and DATA modes. In cursor mode you can use the arrows to move around on the screen and select the point at which you want to adjust the convergence. Then you switch back to data mode and adjust the convergence.

3. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ben,
    I will break down your question in numbers and try to answer them as best that I can:

1.What's the difference between fine and coarse, should I do them both?
    R: The difference lies in the area you can adjust. For coarse mode you adjust the whole screen as one. In fine mode, the screen is broken down in several segments and you can adjust each one almost individually (each one affects the other). And yes, you should do them both. First do coarse, bring up the boxed cross and try to get an even rectangle in the screen. Then go to fine mode and adjust each segment and color individually.

2.When overlapping w/Avia, which avia covergence grid should I use, and in which mode fine/coarse?
    R: I really haven't use any of the patterns, instead I printed out a grid from panny.tv and match the geometry lines to this grid.

3.I heard you set your picture/color/brightness/etc settings in the service menu? What's the benefit of this versus using the regular setup menu?
    R: In terms of quality or improvements is the same. The advantage of doing it in the service menu and leaving the user menu at 31 is that you have more room for later adjustment in the user menu, this is, you can readjust the same up or down on the user menu, in case you need it.

4.When setting convergence, I am only able to move the lines in the center of the screen, the lines on the left/right/and corners of the tv won't move. Is there a way to converge the other lines besides just the center?
    R: Blair is correct here, the button you need to press to change between data and cursor is "Mute". Doing so you can move the cursor in the different segments of the screen and adjust as needed. Remember that each one affects another. Try to adjust from center to outside, as the center one's affect more the outer one's.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any doubts. Good luck, all this is a rewarding experience.

Hugo