Avia questions?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy H, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

I have to do some tweaking on my Tosh 50" RPTV, (50A61). The black bars in letterbox mode, 16:9 and 4:3, upper and lower are way off in the corners (bent) where they should meet the picture. I also notice any straight vertical lines on the left side of the screen are way out of wack (bent). I do not think Toshiba even try's to calibrate these RPTV's at all in the factory. If any one even looked at the picture for a split second in letterbox mode they would see it's way off instantly.

My question is will I be able to make the proper adjustments using Avia only? Or will I have to get into the service menu to make the adjustments? I want to know before I go purchase the Avia DVD. I have no idea how to get into the service menu of the Tosh 50A61 so will I just be wasting my money buying Avia to make these adjustments?

Thanks, Roy.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Geometry adjustment can be done with AVIA (it does supply test patterns), but you will need to access the service mode of the set to actually make any chnages (and maybe access to in the insides of the set depending on how the set works).

Avia has test patters for nearly everything-- but the determining issue isn't with what AVIA supplies in terms of patterns, but rather what you can adjust with the basic controls on your TV.

Since you probably only have access to brightness/contrast/color/tint/sharpness on the basic setup menu of the set- there is nothing magical AVIA can offer to make you able to do convergence via these controls.

Again, being able to adjust this stuff isn't a "function" of AVIA, rather it is a function of your set.

-V

3. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Vince, That is what I figured. I realize Avia is great for the basic tweaks, and I still may buy it to get a better picture, sound, etc. By reading the great reviews about Avia over on Amazon and other sites they almost make it sound as if it can do the major adjustments like I mentioned without getting into the service menu. I guess I have no choice but to call Toshiba and find out what I can do about this problem. Maybe it is just my imagination but it seems the more advanced TV's are getting the worse they look out of the box! Or is it just that the prices of RPTV's are getting cheaper and so is the quality and the final inspection process at the factory? I hope Toshiba can just put me on the phone with a person who can talk me through this. The last thing I want is for them to just send over some guy who's guess is as good as mine!!!!!!

PS: If anyone reading this can provide me with the process of getting into the service menu on the Tosh (50A61) I would appreciate it.

Roy.

4. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Well it seems as if I made a mistake. The vertical line problem that I mentioned on my new Tosh 50" RPTV is not a fault of the TV at all. It was the DVD's themself that were the culprit. I decided to watch a couple today (The Devils Advocate) and (The Matrix). I only seen the badly bent vertical lines in a few scenes in these two movies. It was in scenes with window frames and door frames mostly. In the Devils Advocate even some of the buildings looked bent when Keanu Reeves and Al Pacino walked out onto the roof. It was driving me crazy for a while but then it dawned on me, if it is a problem with the TV then why don't I see it when I am watching regular TV. Sure enough I put in some other DVD's and no problem at all a perfect picture. What is the odds that I would pick two movies in a row with these problems. Better yet two Keanu Reeves movies. Well after all I only had the TV just a bit over 24 hours now so I have to be more patient. Overall the TV is just about perfect but the upper and lower black bars in 16:9 and 4:3 do still need a slight adjustment in the corners. That is just about the only negative I have seen so far and I can live with that.

Roy.

5. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

If you only notice this geometric distortion on scenes involving widows and doorframes, it sounds like your contrast is cranked too high. Check out the needle-pulse pattern on either Avia or Video Essentials. If the line isn’t straight on this pattern, you will need to lower your contrast.

-Christian

6. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Christian, sorry it took so long to get back to you but I just happened to notice your post now. By they way I did figure it out, My TV just can not play Keanu Reeves DVD's that well.[​IMG]
    Just kidding of corse but it seems as if the problem was with the two movies I mentioned. I do have my contrast way down it's at (25%) right now because I am doing the 100 hour break in on my new RPTV. (On 12 hours a day and off at night to totally cool down). After the break in period I will only bring it up to 30% to 33% max and that's where it will stay.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Roy.