AVIA or DVE or Sound & Vision Disc

Discussion in 'Displays' started by HoiT, Jun 29, 2004.

1. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Hey Guys,

A Newbie question : I am going to get a RPTV really soon and thinking of buying a standard testing disc. Which one is better - the DV Essential, the AVIA or the Sound and Vision calibration disc. I only want to buy one.

Also, what exactly does an ISF calibration do? Can we do it ourselves? Thanks.

HoiT

2. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

DVE is confusing, but gets the job done. Avia - I played with one briefly a few years ago. It only had a 5.1 sound test, I don't know if they've updated it, but otherwise it was very good, much better laid out than the hellish DVE. I've never seen the other one..

I think you can do the calibration yourself. Not as good as a technician, unless you want to invest in the learning of their craft... Probably easier to just pay a professional. You *can* do a pretty decent calibration yourself with some simple knowledge of the set's Service mode, and one of the discs mentioned.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Do a basic calibration and see the improvements.

"ISF" calibration can mean different things depending on the quality of the calibrator, but the ont thing it includes is proper grayscale calibration, which you can't really do properly without measuring equipment (read: expensive). A good calibrator, ISF or not, will do all the basic stuff, full grayscale, and whatever other mods and things that your display needs. Different sets may need different levels of extra help. Some, like CRT projectors, can use a lot of technical work to get singing correctly, that a novice can not achieve without many many hours of learning.

4. RobertC

RobertC Agent

Hoit
    The Sound and Vision calibration disc. It is a lot
    easyer then the other two.I would go with that one.
    Hope this helps.

Regards
    RobertC

5. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the sound and vision choice. It has everything you will most likely need. Much easier to use and less technically intense.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I just used Avia last night to calibrate my Panny. The results are much better then what I had before. Avia is easy to go through, but often times, the calibration patterns are too short. I found myself at going back to the chapter again to adjust the settings.

That being said, test disc can only do so much. It's a start to the right direction, but the next level is to ISF.

I'm waiting on Gregg to email me back on a few questions, so I can finally setup an appointment for the master to ISF my set [​IMG].

I'm looking forward to it...