AVIA is it that good ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry L., Jun 24, 2002.

1. Terry L.

Terry L. Auditioning

Just bought sony 57 widescreen hdtv , seems to be just perfect right out of the box , will Avia really make that much of a difference or should I keep the 34.00 - 50.00
    bucks in my pocket ?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I highly doubt the set is perfect out of the box. Perfect is dependant on the rooms lighting conditions, and I think even the distance from the set will affect things a little bit.

Avia allows the novice to get the basic adjustments on the set properly dialed in and to me was well worth the money. Getting even a sets basic adjustments set correctly just can't be done without the proper test patterns.

It can also allow the novice to play with geometry and convergence more thoroughly. Provided you can find out how and are comfortable messing around with those settings in the service menus.

But to truly get the best image possible our of your set requires a skilled ISF Tech with the proper equipment.

3. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    AVIA is very complete for setting up TV's and even projectors too. The audio side is also very complete with lots of different setup test tones.

6. Robbie-Tan

Robbie-Tan Auditioning

how about Sound&Vision? which one is better? considering S&V has the cheaper price..[​IMG]

7. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Terry,

I would suggest trying the Sound & Vision HT Tuneup DVD. It is made by Ovation software (same people that make AVIA). It is only $15 or so, and can be found at BestBuy. It is easy to use, and will probably make a big improvement in your picture. Plus, it has all the audio calibrations as well, so you can fine tune the HT (assuming you have one).

For the money you spent on the TV, invest the $15 (or even $50) on the calibration disc.

JayDaniel

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

AVIA and Video Essentials will offer much more than what you will find on the Sound and Vision disc.

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Congratulations on the new set. I was thinking about that very same Sony if it's the one with HW in it's number. Now, as for your TV, Avia will help quite a bit as pertains not only to the picture, but the life of the TV itself. As an example, usually out of the box, the contrast is set too brightly which can burn out your tubes prematurely and I think I read somewhere where it can also hasten images burning into your screen. I learned an awful lot from the folks here and at places like The Home Theater Spot, where they have a message board set up just for Sony owners. And...welcome to HTF.

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Oh, and one more thing, the Hollywood Video here rents copies of Avia, so you might want to check that out and save the money. Before renting it though, I'd make sure that the red, green, and blue transparent strips are still in the case.

11. Bill Geiger

Bill Geiger Second Unit

I thought my picture on my 61 inch Sony was PERFECT.... boy was I wrong. Avia's video test showed how off I REALLY was. I am still messing with all of the sound tests but slowly but surely will get it how I like it. It is worth it in the long run. And, if you want, you can always trade for it!

12. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I agree with Jay! After all the "dough" you spent on you set?! The AVIA disc is the best $40 you can spend!