1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avia Home Theater Guide in Canada ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay ***Mc, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Jay ***Mc

Jay ***Mc Extra

Hi All
    Hey, does anyone know of a source to pick up Avia up here in Canada, or even someone in the US who will ship to Canada without adding a huge handling/shipping fee ? I just purchased a Toshiba 50H82 (my first RPTV ) and could use some help getting it set up right I hear lots of people talking about the factory "tourch mode", is this referring to how high they have the brightness set to ? Where is a good place to start with this setting ? In fact, is there a basic setting with regards to all the video setting one should start at besides the factory settings ?
    Thanks
    Jay[​IMG]

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Jay,
    I ordered my copy of Avia at HMV.

"Torch mode" refers primarily to a really high contrast setting. The first thing you should do with a set is turn the contrast down considerably, especially with an RPTV. I don't have one but I've read that under 50% is where it should be set at, depending on the set.

3. SteveDev

SteveDev Agent

4. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

Amazon.ca is probably the cheapest - CAD 59.99 + Shipping 4.94. Great service and usually ships faster than claimed.

5. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Extra

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Jay I personally love ABsound.ca they are awesome, they have a wide selection and delivery is really fast, i paid 82 for avia from them everythign included (canadian dollars) hell once i ordered a DVD-a from them it was stated as out of stock 1-3 weeks delivery and i had it in hand 5 days later ordered on saturday evening online it arrived in my mail box thursday afternoon.

7. Jay ***Mc

Jay ***Mc Extra

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and links to Canadian sources. I ened uup picking up "Home Theater Optimkizer" for $29 at London Drugs. Im not sure it is of the same calibur of Avia but it definately helped me get my intial settings dialed in. It also included a lens cleaning disc and an interesting database of movies which one can run on their PC or Mac if equipped with a dvd drive.
    I've now had the Toshba 50H82 for just over 2 weeks amd am still just thrilled with it. I'm just praying none of the problems which I have read about here develop with my set.

-jay

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

9. Jay ***Mc

Jay ***Mc Extra

I kinda wondered about that . Is there a better solution for keeping the lens of the DVD player clean ? This cleaning disc that came with the kit actually jhas 8 little mini buses built right into it, I'd imagine that these couild be too abrazive and cause scratching on the lens ?

Jay

10. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

also got mien fomr hmv.com for liek 60 bucks delivered