1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avia hidden on some DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Mitchell, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Eric Mitchell

Eric Mitchell Stunt Coordinator

So I am a Home Theater noobi. If I had the money I would upgrade. As it stand I have a great older receiver but par other parts. I bought a decent flat screen, non HD, TV and it is in need of major calibration. You may have heard of it, the Akia-CFT2791. I would buy the Avia DVD myself, but as I mentioned it is a bit much right now.

My question is: I have been told that some Avia calibrations are on newer DVDs. I was told "Signs" has it under the THX icon, but I haven't checked it out. Can anyone verify this? Or give other DVDs with some Avia calibrations on it?

Thanks.

2. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

As I understand it, the THX calibrations that appear on certain discs are specific to those films, and should not be used as a tool for general calibration.

Having said that, they do give you a rough idea of which direction to go if you have no other calibration tools.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

They're similar, but they aren't exactly the same thing.

Some THX-mastered DVDs (including "Signs") have a feature called THX Optimode. It's basically a simplified set of tests similar to those available on the more specialized AVIA, Video Essentials and Sound and Vision's home theater set-up discs.

To make use of the THX tests, you'll need to go to www.thx.com and find the link for Optimode. Then, order a blue filter (I think they charge you $2.95 or something like that for shipping).

4. Eric Mitchell

Eric Mitchell Stunt Coordinator

Ok, thanks! Sounds like I should just get the Avia Disc. I'll use it for ever so its not much of a problem. Thanks again.