What's new

Avia hidden on some DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
So I am a Home Theater noobi. If I had the money I would upgrade. As it stand I have a great older receiver but par other parts. I bought a decent flat screen, non HD, TV and it is in need of major calibration. You may have heard of it, the Akia-CFT2791. I would buy the Avia DVD myself, but as I mentioned it is a bit much right now.

My question is: I have been told that some Avia calibrations are on newer DVDs. I was told "Signs" has it under the THX icon, but I haven't checked it out. Can anyone verify this? Or give other DVDs with some Avia calibrations on it?

Thanks.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
As I understand it, the THX calibrations that appear on certain discs are specific to those films, and should not be used as a tool for general calibration.

Having said that, they do give you a rough idea of which direction to go if you have no other calibration tools.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
They're similar, but they aren't exactly the same thing.

Some THX-mastered DVDs (including "Signs") have a feature called THX Optimode. It's basically a simplified set of tests similar to those available on the more specialized AVIA, Video Essentials and Sound and Vision's home theater set-up discs.

To make use of the THX tests, you'll need to go to www.thx.com and find the link for Optimode. Then, order a blue filter (I think they charge you $2.95 or something like that for shipping).

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, thanks! Sounds like I should just get the Avia Disc. I'll use it for ever so its not much of a problem. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks