AVIA Guide to Home Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Preston, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Alan Preston

Alan Preston Extra

Hello everyone my name is Alan. I want to get AVIA Guide to Home Theater. I have some questions about it though: Will I need service manual codes for the T.V. and the reciever? Where can I find service manual codes? Thanks a lot.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

No.

The commands available for basic setup are usually contained to your user controls (video: brightness, contrast, tint, color and audio controls like speaker level, speaker size, x-over point). All these are available in the basic user menus.

Avia does offer some additional test (color decoder, geometry, overscan) which can be used in conjunction with service modes (or physically opening the set and getting in with tools) to make adjustments. I would say that if you haven't done this type of adjustment before (and have to ask for the location of service codes)- chances are you're better off sticking with the user controls...

-Vince

3. Alan Preston

Alan Preston Extra

Thanks. I'm only an eighth grade little boy. I don't want to electrocute myself so I believe I'll stay with the regular codes.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Alan, you're not a "little boy" to us. At 13 years old, we'll treat you like you're 33 -- so long as you get your face outa the electronics once and awhile and go outside to ride your bike in the fresh air!

bill (I cud be yer dad)

5. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I have a question about audio balancing using the cd vs the internal test tones.

I assume that the internal test tones from the processor are generated symmetrically, ie that they are the same energy on each channel.

Using the avia cd's test tones - does the customization get ignored (ie if you've added Center Channel boost or bass enhance) during playback ?

Thanks,

Tim

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well- it doesn't ignore the speaker boost cut settings- that is the entire point of using these discs. You adjust the speaker levels until all 6 channels measure the same on a SPL meter. If it ignored the speaker setting- then there would be no point to using the tests in the first place.

As far as the bass/treble settings- it depends on the unit. Many receivers actually completely ignore these settings when working with a 5.1 signal (i.e. Bass and Treble adjustments only affect stereo material)-- but if this happens it is a function of the receiver, not the test disc. So the answer is technically NO, test tones on avia and VE would be affected by these settings as well- as long as your receiver applies them to 5.1 sources.

-Vince

7. JoshuaR

JoshuaR Agent

All this talk about Avia testing system has me curious... Where can I get this product?

8. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I got mine at Amazon.com. It was about $35-40

Tim