What's new

Avia "Guide to Home Theater" setup DVD (1 Viewer)

Marc Go

Agent
I saw this at Crutchfield for $49.95 (which means I can get it MUCH cheaper somewhere else!). I am a HT newbie and am awaiting delivery of my new receiver and speakers. I'm just looking for anyone that has used this or similar. Does this DVD really help in the setup? Do the test tones also help? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Avia or other comperable calibrations discs are essential to proper system setup.
Video Essentials is the other that is highly reccomended.
Either one of them will assist you in properly setting up your system from what each component is for to how to connect everything to speaker placement, and most importantly, audio and video calibration.
For proper audio setup, you'll also need to make a trip to Radio Shack and get yourself an SPL meter. It's really difficult to get a good calibration without one.
The need for the meter will be explained on the disc.
Anyway, in short answer to your question, overwhelmingly YES. You do need a calibration disc to set you system up right.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
Welcome to HTF, there is no escape now that the HT bug has bitten you! Down to business, I used Video Essentials to help me configure my HT. It really helped my video display (Sony KV-36XBR400), which had a reddish tint. It requires you to spend a fair amount of time to get your picture to look it’s best, so if you think this will be a quick fix, think again. But, when I’m not viewing DVDS, my TV looks really bright (different settings for TV viewing as opposed to DVD viewing). The DVD picture did take some time to get used to, but I think it really gave me that crisp, sharp "movie theater" look to my DVD material. Audio was a different story. I went for the much acclaimed “reference” settings (75db), which sounded, really to loud, so I’m now configured for 60db, but Video Essentials did help me ensure that all channels are outputting a level 60db (via the SPL which you can get at Radio Shack), from my listening position. In short, buy it.
Good luck
-Marshawn
a.k.a Marsh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks