Avia DVD calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ammon, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this but I have a quick question about the Avia DVD. I ran all the video tests and afterwards, I noticed everything had a purple tint to it. I re-ran the DVD making sure everything was correct, but every movie I put it in all had the same tint to it. The flesh tones were very purple looking and the red's seemed to be off a bit. Is it just the fact that I didnt have my TV calibrated correctly and I'm not used to the corect setting? Or has anyone else noticed this? By the way, I have a Mitsubishi 60" RPTV.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Many sets, even when properly calibrated with Avia or VE will show what is called a "Red Push". I full ISF calibration, involving service menu adjustments, can often correct this.

What most users do, pre-ISF, is simply dial the color control down a few clicks until the flesh tones look correct. Having said that, I am not sure about Purple issues. There may be something false at play.

You would perhaps want to make sure that all automatic flesh tone adjustments are turned off (if the set allows). Also, if you can select from color temperatures, many sets are closest (but still not perfect) with the warm color temp selected.

I have no experience with your particular set. Perhaps other Mitsi owners can suggest appropriate settings.

Good Luck,

BGL

3. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

That may be the case in the Red Push. I remember running the test to see how off my Red was, and when looking through the red gel, not a single one looked right. Maybe I'll get into the service menu and tame it down!

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If EVERYTHING had a purple tint to it, then that's probably a grayscale issue. Are your whites and grays also purplish looking? Assuming so, you'll need it ISF calibrated. You could probably do eyeball grayscale adjustment via the service menu, but that could be risky since that could easily cause other problems.

And before you try anything like that, I'd wait for some expert opinions from the various ISF guys in these forums. And make sure you write down ALL your service menu settings before proceeding, including those you don't plan to adjust!

_Man_