What's new

Avia disc, get one or use internal channel level gen.? (1 Viewer)

Daniel T.

Agent
I have run across the mention if the Avia disc a few times now, and my searches don't dig up much on how it goes about its thing. I have used the amp's built-in generator and my DV45's built-in to get the speakers up to snuff. Question is, is the disc gonna do anything better?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Question is, is the disc gonna do anything better?
Well, it depends.

If you have used your internal test tones to REFERENCED Calibrated your HT Speakers/Sub w/Radio Shack SPL Meter @ 75 dB @ your 'sweet spot', and everything sound A-OK, ... i.e seamless 360-degree surround, etc. ... then you may not need AVIA or Sound&Vision HT Tune-up DVD (created for S&V by AVIA).

But, if you need a DVD to REF Calibrate your Video, ... then get AVIA or S&V to do that, and as a bonus, you'll have the Audio Calibration Test Tones (use 85 dB), then you can compare the two results and answer your own question.

Phil

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure exactly what Phil meant, but here is why I think the disc is the better option:

When you play the disc, you are calibrating the system from end to end- through the DVD player, the decoder, the preamp, amp, and speakers. Any one of these could theoretically affect the output level of each channel.

I have had two receivers, Onkyo and NAD, and both varied by as much as 6db from their internal test tones on some channels to what was on the disc. I used VE, for what it's worth.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I'm not sure exactly what Phil meant, ...
Based on associated AV REC/AMP equipment.

With all three of my Yamaha's, R-V905/RX-V595, RX-V995, RX-V1300 - using AVIA (@ 85db), Sound&Vision (@ 85db), Video Essentials (@ 75db), Delos DVD Spectacular (@ 75 dB) and Dolby Labs Demo DVD Test tones (@ 75 dB), the only difference was my REF VOLUME Mark - slight differences depending on which DVD respectively. Othewise, ALL Speaker (5.1 & 6.1 - RX-V1300) levels were identical vs. my Yamaha(s) Internal Test Tones.

So, it depends.

Phil

Daniel T.

Agent
When you play the disc, you are calibrating the system from end to end- through the DVD player, the decoder, the preamp, amp, and speakers.
Ohhh, that DOES make sense. So if I use my DV45 test tones I'd be doing just about the same thing, but toys are still toys, I think I'll order muhself a disc or two. Sad thing is truly enjoy most of my cd/dvd/sacds in stereo, just feels bouncier, more alive for some reason. Old habits die hard I guess. I think its the speed my VRM60's run, everything is just tighter. Guess I need a SPL meter as well....

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Let me ask a question here due to my own ignorance. Will one of these demo discs set up my speakers than the MCACC feature on my 45TX? I think it sounds pretty good right now, outside of some minor adjustments yet to be made. My biggest concern is video. Does it offer a lot on video calibration? Thanks in advance.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Does it offer a lot on video calibration?
It does! The area that you can Calibrated is ...

1) Color
2) Tint
3) Brightness
4) Contrast
5) Sharpness

AVIA & S&V includes a BLUE Filter (AVIA also includes RED & GREEN Filters).

You would Calibrate #1 & #2 using the BLUE Filter and a Test Screen in the DVD.

To adjust #3 to #5, you would use another Test Screen(s).

The filter, tutorial and instructions will help you perform all your Video Calibration adjustments and once you do it, you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner since it's nearly impossible to do by eye.

Phil

steven pm

Agent
Avia also has overscan patterns, which are handy if you know how to access your tv's service menus.

Also, the audio parts include sweep tone with frequency readout, which really helps improve the sub setup (placement, crossover, phase...)

Daniel T.

Agent
Went and got a SPL meter. Fired up the test tones and began the task of calibrating. Started at the volume I normally watch TV/mildly amusing movies at. I was dead on with the surrounds and mains, my center was 3db off(not bad for just using my ears eh?). Then ramped up the volume to where I listen to favorite movies, and re-checked the calibration. The surrounds picked up 1-2db over the other speakers(efficient little guys I guess), so I now know how to set em for optimal sound field.

-Sidenote. Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD holds together much better now in 5.1, still prefer the original NON-highrez stereo mix, but the 5.1 is nippin at its heels.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I cannot recommend Avia/VE enough because of the video patterns and calibration. Sure, it's good for audio, well better than the internal test tones, and you can do sub sweeps and whole hosts of stuff past the basic receiver tones, but the main benefit is video. If you've never messed with your TV, you don't know what you're missing. TV's come out of the factory with absolutely horrible settings that reduce their lifespan and produce over-saturated, over sharpened, WAY too bright pictures that look like crap. Just a basic calibration via Avia or VE can give you HUGE improvements, even on those old, cheesy crappy tv's that many people have. And of course to do the audio, with or without Avia/VE, which you should get too, you must have the SPL meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks