What's new

Avia Calibration test disk question (1 Viewer)

Paul_S

Auditioning
On setting the Db level should all of my speakers be set at 75 db when testing or should it be 85db when testing with the Avia disk. I know with the Video Essentials disks it should be set to 75db.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
If I recall Avia specifies 85dB - it all works out in the end as the disc is mastered at a different level. If you have both discs I would suggest trying both and see what you prefer. Personally I still like VE for audio settings.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I believe Avia says that you may find 85 Db a tad loud for in-home use and if so, recommend that you use 75 db. Personally, I find 75 db too loud for our small room. I found the important thing was simply to get each channel calibrated so the level of the test signal was equal at the sitting position, whether that level was 60, 65 or 75 Db. I also found that things didn't vary much from one level to another...i.e. if I calibrated everything for 65 db, and knew that this level was -41 on my receiver's volume control, then I also found that -31 was 75 db and -46 was 60 db and all the channels were still nicely balanced.
cheers,
--tom

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Those are only reference numbers to balance the channels. It doesn't mean you have to set your playback level to 00 all the time. If it's too loud during playback then back off on the volume.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I had the same experience as ThomasL. I calibrated with Avia at 85dB and then checked out the balancing at 70 and 75 dB. At all three dB levels the speakers were balanced well. I checked the lower levels because I never listen at 85dB, it's just too loud in my room.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jim that's what I meant exactly...Jay, sorry if I wasn't clear - my point was that you can calibrate at any db point you want to. Once they're balanced, assuming your receiver is working properly, they should remaind balanced at either higher or lower listening levels...at least that is my experience. I calibrated them at 60 db actually and we listen at either 60 or 65 db normally. I've never had the thing above 75 db actually :)
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks