Avia Calibration Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndrewAL, Feb 18, 2004.

1. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

I just got the Avia Guide to Home Theater disk and I am adjusting the black level. On the black level test, it says I should set it so I see one of the two moving bars on the black part of the screen, which I do during the demo. However, when I do the actual test myself, I cannot see any black bars in the black area no matter how high or low I set the setting. Why is this? How can I fix it?

BTW, I have the Sony KE-42TS2 Plasma display

Thanks

2. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

I just fixed it, I had it on "living room" setting, I switched it to AV Pro. I guess AV Pro is for people calibrating their screens?

3. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

AH! Now that it's on AV Pro level, I can't see the white bar moving when I adjust the white level, i.e. it won't become dark enough. What's wrong? Thanks

4. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

Is my TV a CRT television? (Sony KE-42TS2 Plasma display)

5. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

I'm really getting frustrated: I set my TV to AV Pro rather than Living Room, which is slightly brighter, because I could not see the bars in the black for the black level test before no matter how far up or down I set it. However, now when I set my white level I can't see the bars no matter how high or low I set it. What am I doing wrong? More importantly, what can I do to fix this?

Thanks [​IMG]

6. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Could be your DVD player. Although, it sounds like just another reason why I will never buy Sony.

Sorry I can't help.

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Plasma sets are not CRTs. Cathode ray tubes. Plasma sets are notorious for having troublesome dark ends.

I would wager 300 quadloos that the issue is with the TV and not the DVD player.

Regards

8. DeeAnn

DeeAnn Extra

Hi! First off like Merimac says, you'll want to check your DVD player (make sure it's set to the darkest black level setting if using the component connection). If that doesn't help, you might want to try your question over at the AVS forum flat panel section here.

9. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Here's how I would approach a new display like a a plasma whose characteristics I don't already know. The newer, digital based displays are a little different from CRT - the display type the on disc tutorial assumes.

Task #1 get the plasma and DVD player to both handle black in a manner which shows all shadow detail AND allows black on the display to be as dark as possible. The reason this seems complicated is that there are two possible signal intensities which can represent black when it comes to the voltage levels in the cables between your DVD player and display. One level is 0 IRE. The other level is 7.5 IRE. It wouldn't matter which you chose if displays could handle either with equal alacrity. Unfortunately, some displays can accept and display correctly only one level of signal for black but not the other. The manufacturer usually does not document which is expected. Sometimes there is a control which lets you switch between on vs the other standard, but even if present, the marketing department will have named it something which is unrecognizable.

On the other end, the DVD player may have its output black level at 0 or 7.5 IRE. This is often switchable with the black at 0 IRE setting appearing darker on screen. The trick in setting up your system is to make sure the level output by the player matches what your display expects. There are four combinations to consider, but two are fine for normal operation. Here is how I'd break it down.

Cases 1 & 2. The player and display are correctly set for each other. In this case, adjusting the brightness control on the display is able to make the darkest moving black level bar (left bar) appear and disappear as you adjust brightness. Black as represented as the background of the test pattern is able to be the darkest black that the display can create.

Case 3. The player is set to output black at a higher level than the display expects to see. This looks a lot like case #1, but turning the brighntes control all the way down may still not darken the image enough to make the darkest moving bar in AVIA to disappear and appear. The solution would be to darken the signal at the player or tell the display to accept black at a higher level.

Case 4. The display can never show the moving black bars in Avia. One or both may be missing no matter how high you turn up the brightnes control. This means the display is expecting black to be at a higher voltage level than the DVD player is outputing. The solution is to set the DVD playe to output black at a higher voltage. This is usually done by turning OFF things like "enhanced black" on the DVD player.

Adjust brightness on the display to make the darker moving black bar (leftmost) just barely visible on a plasma, but also pay attention to the background black. If you can't make that bar appear without making the background start to glow, you may find the image to be better with brigtness intentionall set a little too low (darkest black bar missing).

10. AndrewAL

AndrewAL Extra

thanks so much Guy, great post. i dont quite understand all of it, but i'll take it line by line haha. thanks