AVIA Black Level Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_J, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Steve_J

Steve_J Extra

When calibrating the black level of my 36" Zenith (crappy I know) using AVIA would I achieve better results using the normal black level of my Toshiba SD-2200 DVD Player or the enhanced black level which provides a darker, richer image.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

You'll gain little if anything by selecting enhanced mode. The brightness level will end up being raised higher to compensate. If you only have one picture memory all other sources will end up being too washed out. Try it and see what works best for you.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Using the enhanced black level control on your DVD player will increase the dynamic range of the picture, by lowering the level of true black.
    As Jay points out, you will need to increase the Brightness control on your TV if this is turned to on. If your set has only one picture memory (ie. the settings of the picture controls cannot be tailored for each input) then you might find the image on other sources to be washed out.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"