What's new

AVIA better than Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I'm sure this gets discussed from time to time, but I have some very recent experience that I thought I would share.

I started with A Video Standard when I played laserdiscs, and then rented Video Essentials (its successor) from Netflix because I was familiar with it, and because they didn't rent AVIA, which I didn't know much about anyway. (A disadvantage of renting is that you don't get the blue filter which you need. I used the one from A Video Standard.)

The other day I bought a copy of AVIA, and Wow!, am I amazed at how much better it is. Audio tests are very complete, run in DD, and seem designed for DD systems. By contrast, VE seemed to run mostly in Pro Logic, and the test were very skimpy.

The video testing with AVIA was easier to use. I found the flashing squares on the color test pattern much easier to deal with than the still squares in VE.

The menus with AVIA are much better organized. You can very quickly skip to exactly the test you want to run.

Actually, VE is no longer in print, to be replaced by Digital VE sometime soon. I sure hope they've improved it!

Meanwhile, I can highly recommend AVIA. For beginners, there's a 40 min. introduction to HT that I found very well done. Lots on different kinds of connectors, how to use a sound-level meter, and so on... the same stuff that beginners ask about here all the time.

DanaA

Screenwriter
alldirect.com has it for $33.74 plus $2.97 shipping/handling. I heard this was the cheapest price on the internet.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Although it doesn't really say it anywhere, there is a DD track on VE, though VE is definitely lacking in the audio portion for setting up anything. VE is a VERY basic tool for audio, and seems to do little more than give some useful tips while waiting for your display device to warm up for the video calibration, which is the only thing I have ever used VE for. :D
Avia often costs more, but is a bit more comprehensive and is more user friendly. A few HT places that I have spoken to locally also use VE to setup video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks