Avia and the X1?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Bailey, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Robert Bailey

I've used my trusty old Avia DVD to set the contrast, brightness, color and tint (on S-Video). But I have a few questions:

I normally would use the warm or warmest settings for the color temperature, but many people suggest using the cool setting. What is the definitive setting if you want to come close the 6500K?

How do I set the RGB gains with Avia? If I run with the 480p input, the color and tint settings are disabled, so do I make fine adjustments with RGB gains?

Does anybody have a link to a method for calibrating a DLP or LCD projector with Avia and no other instruments?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I think I know the answer to the "cool setting" recommendation.

For some reason, using the "cool setting" with inexpensive contrast ratio starved digital projectors (both single-chip DLP's and three panel LCD's) seems to enhance the perceived black level.

At the very least, it at least seems to make for a greater range of delineation of the various grey levels, and therefore allows one to better tolerate very dark scenes with these kinds of projectors.

In many cases, a "green push" seems to develop with this setting, which can be adjusted out with the use of a FL-D filter, leaving a very satisfying presentation with these kinds of scenes. (Still in no way comparable to CRT black level, though.)

3. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I believe that some versions of the X1 firmware had the color temps mis-labeled. Cool was actually the warmest (closest to 6500k) color temp. My X1 with ver. 3.6 firmware seems to be correct set to warmest. I also think that a bias toward green is a trait of LCD projectors and shouldn't (and isn't in my case) be an issue with a DLP display like the X1. As for calibration of the X1 via the 480p inputs, I am waiting for the new Digital Video Essentials to be released. It is supposed to have color filters supplied (and test signals) for red, green and blue individually. The DVD is supposed to be released this month. (but I've heard that before)

Randy

4. Robert Bailey

Thanks for the info.

I thought the "warm" and "warmest" settings seemed to be correct, but I've seen so many people indicate that they use "cool". When I put the X1 on "cool" it seems to go very bluish-white, just like the Trinitrons CRT's that I'm used to...

I may just keep the settings that I've got, they do look very good!