What's new

Avia and sub problem (1 Viewer)

Tom Sullivan

Agent
Hello, I have a Marantz SR8000 and a HSU VT2 sub. I calibrate with Avia and set my amp to stereo. When I use the pink sound the bass signal seems to come from the front left and the sub. So basically I'm getting low Hz's from the front speaker and the sub at the same time. I have the fronts set to small. Do you all hear the same problem or?
I test Avia with the front left going to sub to set up the balance with a radio shack sound meter. But getting bass out of both speakers is screwy. Shouldn't it be High pink sound coming out of the front left and then when shooting to sub. Just the bass only coming out of the sub and not the front left at the same time. confused!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
This is most likely a crossover issue. Avia doesn't encode the bass signal in the LFE channel, because you're calibrating bass levels for the speakers themselves, not LFE. Because of this, if your crossover is at 80hz or lower, you may hear some of the bass calibration tone come from both the speaker and sub. This is perfectly okay, because what you're calibrating is overall bass levels, not just the level of the sub itself.
In the verification/evaluation section, there are bass sweeps that should let you hear about what point the transition occurs between your speaker and sub. There's also an LFE sweep that is encoded just to the LFE channel, and should ONLY come from your sub. If it comes from any of your speakers as well, you might have a bum receiver...
Hope that helps!

Tom Sullivan

Agent
I had the same effect with my previous Yamaha 596 when checking with AVIA. Hmmmm
One good thing is that the Marantz has a tone sweep and when it goes to LFE, the sub will be the only thing getting bass.
But the setting levels will be totally different from the settings with AVIA. With both systems I set the pink noise level at 75db, can't bear it at 85. :)
It's still a wierd problem with the sweep for LFE being on the speaker and the sub at the same time. You can even shoot to Center and sub and the center channel will do high pink sound and the sub bass also.
While I'm on the bass subject. HT amps have set LFE crossovers. Is it best to set the subs crossover to full?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Now, if the LFE-only sweep is coming out of your speaker, you might have a problem. Not sure what to tell you about that. The bass sweeps will always come from both speaker and sub, but the LFE-only sweep shouldn't come from anywhere but the sub.
And yes, if you're using small for all the speakers and the receiver's handling the crossover, set the crossover on the sub as high as it will go. Some subs also have special inputs for pre-filtered signals that will bypass the crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks